Very sick hen today

• 27 Replies

compostqueen

Very sick hen today
« on: May 20, 2010, 12:22 »
I fear the worst for my biggest girlie today. She was fine yesterday while I was cleaning them out, she was interested and alert but about ten minutes later she was slumped in a corner

Today she is at the water pot drinking constantly and her chest is wet through with it. I've picked her up and I fear she has probably got a broken egg inside her.  She seems so ill I don't think she will make it and I think she's got to the point of no return.  I am watching her constantly but am not cuddling her as I think she's too uncomfy. I think she's too ill to be bathed so I'm going to leave her be. I think it's best

She's a big girl and has laid whopping great eggs but recently they are mostly softies despite her having everything she could possibly need.  Her last egg about two days ago was very wierd.  Totally wrinkled and oddly layered, like material folds

carolbriar

Re: Very sick hen today
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:58 »
A visit to the vet!   
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 13:24 »
I think she's too far gone to be honest

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 13:32 »
sorry but a visit to the vets is urgently needed or the deed needs to be done - the vet can do that if you don't feel up to it  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 13:36 »
I agree with Joyfull! Urgent trip to vet.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 14:26 »
I think she's too far gone to be honest

She may well be "too far gone" in your opinion but surely you could do right by her and end her suffering or atleast give her some pain killers, im sorry but you carnt just leave her to suffer, she still has the right to medical treatment.  :( :( :( :( :(   nicky
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 23:16 »
she seems very quiet, not in pain. I've had her on my knee as I thought she was going but she's hung in there.  I gave her some nutri drops into her beak to see if she'd liven up a bit and she moved between the coop and the water bowl this afternoon.  If she's no better in the morning I'll take her to be put to sleep

Silkysmooth

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 00:21 »
I simply don't agree with most of the forum members talking about birds needing to go to the vet especially at the smallest sight of illness (not in this case but in many I have seen).

As long as a bird is not in pain then allow it to die naturally instead of letting it going through the ordeal of being taken to the vet and injected with medication. This member is happy with her/his decision to leave the bird in peace and that should be respected.

I do however agree that a bird should be killed by the owner if it is in pain or taken to the vet if the owner cannot face it.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 07:41 »
Yes, it's a hard decision. To wait and see or not, and you agonise over it.  It was extremely hot yesterday and I didn't want to handle her much as you know yourself that you want to be left alone when ill.  I watched over her all day  and kept refreshing her water as she kept drinking.  I checked on her before I went to bed and got up at first light this morning.  She was awake, alert and hungry.  She ate some layers from my hand and had a drink. She was on her feet and at the run gate so I let her out to stretch her legs and she began pecking the grass. I made her a bowl of warm porridge with a bit of honey in it and she ate a good amount of it.  I can't tell you how relieved I am

We'll see how she goes today but on first appearances today she looks 100% better than yesterday. 

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 07:48 »
I simply don't agree with most of the forum members talking about birds needing to go to the vet especially at the smallest sight of illness (not in this case but in many I have seen).

As long as a bird is not in pain then allow it to die naturally instead of letting it going through the ordeal of being taken to the vet and injected with medication. This member is happy with her/his decision to leave the bird in peace and that should be respected.

I do however agree that a bird should be killed by the owner if it is in pain or taken to the vet if the owner cannot face it.

often with a lot of animals they hide their illnesses very well so when they show any signs of illness which may look minor to you they really are very ill and often beyond treatment. As we cannot see the animals when asked on here and neither (as far as I am aware) are any of us  vets we would usually advise people to seek professional medical treatment. There are lots of stickies on this forum that will run through the treatment of minor illness such as worms and lice etc but otherwise professional help should be sort.
Very few people feel like they can cull their birds as they get too attached to them nor do they have the knowledge to perform this act quickly and as least stressfull to both chicken and owner that they will get somebody else to do it.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:10 »
quick update. She is looking much better, alert and has just taken a few raisins from my hand

Phew!

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 10:13 »
so pleased for you both CQ  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 11:48 »
I'm keeping a watching brief again today and she's sitting out on the grass, in a hole, keeping cool. They have some chintz curtains up at the run to take cover behind if the sun gets too hot. She went into the Eglu yesterday and I stuck my head in and it did seem quite nice and cool in there. Failing that she's coming indoors with a fan. I can't run an extension lead out as it's too far although I do have a very long lead it's not long enough. I tried it for size :D  My husband was out (obviously) as he would have clucked at the health and safety aspect. Mind you there's a cement mixer out there whirring away so why not a fan  8) 

I've moved their grazing again too so there's all fresh clean grass complete with dandelions which she was nibbling on quite ravenously.  The signs are good.  I, on the other hand, am a wreck  :nowink:

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 12:33 »

As Joy said chooks hide there illnesses well so how can you possibly know if the bird is in pain or not, alot of us memebers on here see our birds as our pets and with that wouldnt hesitate to take our birds to the vets or seek medical attention as we would with any animal, even at the slightest illness as you say it could very well escalate into something worse, so i dont think you should come on here and say you dont agree with memebers taking their much loved girlies to the vets even if it turns out to be nothing.   nicky :dry:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 12:53 »
WELL SAID NICKI!!!
To be perfectly honest SS i dont agree with YOU. It can only be a 'natural' death if nothing could have been done. Many of my birds have had the 'ordeal' of been taken to a vet. They have been unwell, even in pain, but are now fit and well enjoying their life.If you knew anything about chickens you would know there is no 'smallest sign of illness' with them as they hide illness very well so when you notice something is not right  they are usually poorly. Im not going to reply to anymore of your posts as i think you are just trying to wind people up and that isnt the ethos of this lovely forum

xx
Sick hen

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 18:41
by North Devon Dumpling
xx
Hen sick?

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 10:15
by joyfull
xx
Help... I have a sick hen

Started by betty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 05:05
by nnbreeder
xx
Sick Hen Help Please

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 13:56
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 38 queries.