Chickens ill?

• 3 Replies

DanTaf

Chickens ill?
« on: May 19, 2010, 21:56 »
Hi

I am VERY new to keeping chickens, my Uncle had to get rid of his two chickens a couple of weeks ago and I decided to take them on. They are about 1-2 yrs old, they were both fine when I got them, I've built them a run and they have good housing - I leave them roam around by day (by watchful eye of my wife in the event of foxes :), feed them exactly the same as my uncle etc.

One of them appears to be very happy in their new home, eating everything in the garden etc and laying eggs, however, the other one is not so happy :(

the 'other' appears to be 'not right' at all, she seems to be fluctuating every day...  not eating much, not very active, lying down a lot (by comparison to the other one), generally appears to be losing energy.

Apart from the obvious - get a vet, is there a known solution to this? is it normal for chickens to behave like this?  I even imagined she was depressed! lol 

anyway, any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Danny

DanTaf

Re: Chickens ill?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 20:44 »
sry to bother you with this/previous post, I ended up taking 'Jackie' to the vets out of despair, and the Vet had to put her down  ???. After investigation, the previous owner had never wormed her or the other one! Thankfully at least I can save one! not a very happy night to say the least, but a lesson learned, if in doubt, go to the Vet!...   shame I didn't have her longer than I did, she might still be here now.....

Now I need to get the other Chicken ( Tinkerbell) a new friend, and quick!.... 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 20:47 »
so sorry Danny on the loss of Jackie, I wish you better luck with any new hens you get  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 20:52 »
Get two Danny that way you will always have two should there be another problem and also it would help with getting them acquainted.

Worm them with Flubenvet which I assume your vet will have given you.

Best of luck.
HF
Truth through science.

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
wet chickens

Started by bexy on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 08:54
by alisonwo

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 37 queries.