Manure in May??

• 6 Replies

lesley1322

Manure in May??
« on: May 19, 2010, 16:37 »
i'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times on here but i have just found a wonderful farm that has allowed me to take as much free horse & farmyard manure as i like. (the horse stuff is fresh & smelly & the other stuff is apparantly 2yrs old but is full of sawdust & straw)

i have currently put it in one of those dalek compost bins as i didnt know where else to put it but is there anyway i can use it this year to break up my soil as it is really hard & dry??
i am planning on putting in module grown brassicas, french & runner beans, sweetcorn, pumpkins & courgettes very soon... will these benefit or not from such a late manure?
:)

Lardman

Re: Manure in May??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 16:55 »
You can never have too much pooh.

I've used fresh around (but not touching) all but brassicas and its never done me any harm. Infact I think id make a pile of it, cover with a little soil and plant pumpkins and courgettes into it !

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 21:32 »
Sorry to hijack the post but quick question. I dont have access to horse manure at the moment and want to plant out my courgettes, squash and pumpkins next month. I have seen chicken manure for sale and I know you can buy manure at Been & Queued but would they be a good substitute for rotted manure. Also I saw a sign recently at the side of the road Manure 3 bags for £8. What are your thought on my way forward? Thanks
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

lesley1322

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 21:39 »
You can never have too much pooh.

I've used fresh around (but not touching) all but brassicas and its never done me any harm. Infact I think id make a pile of it, cover with a little soil and plant pumpkins and courgettes into it !

plant the courgettes & pumkins directly into it?? could you explain a little more please? i've never grown anything like this before

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 22:18 »
Sorry to hijack the post but quick question. I dont have access to horse manure at the moment and want to plant out my courgettes, squash and pumpkins next month. I have seen chicken manure for sale and I know you can buy manure at Been & Queued but would they be a good substitute for rotted manure. Also I saw a sign recently at the side of the road Manure 3 bags for £8. What are your thought on my way forward? Thanks

Any organic matter is great for the plot but avoid using fresh chicken poo directly near plants as it's very strong and can burn them.

Unless I could be sure that the manure didn't have any herbicide contamination (aminopyralid) I wouldn't simply buy it from the side of the road.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

prakash_mib

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 22:33 »
Also I saw a sign recently at the side of the road Manure 3 bags for £8. What are your thought on my way forward? Thanks
My initial thoughts are ooo... pricey. for that price the bags should be atleast half a ton hippo bags. you can get cheaper, well rotted manure from putting request in freecycle.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 22:49 »
plant the courgettes & pumkins directly into it?? could you explain a little more please? i've never grown anything like this before

Make a mound of muck (not a little one) cover it with an inch or so of soil. scoop out a pot sized hole fill with compost or soil and plant your squash / courgette into the soil. That will keep the roots away from the hot stuff until they're a little more developed.

The pile will provide plenty of heat, food and moisture for the plants, and by the time the roots get there it will be mature enough not to harm them.

Im sure I've seen it somewhere on Google but for the life of me I can't find the link.

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 28 queries.