Male Guinea chasing and pecking new female hen

• 10 Replies

sog1997

Male Guinea chasing and pecking new female hen
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:22 »
I do not have much experience with guinea hens or any other for that matter. We are just starting out. Purchased 2 adults about a month ago, a male and a female. The female went missing so we purchased 2 more females. Our original female returned and now the male is chasing and pecking at one of the new hens. I have read about seperating them, and will try that. Is there any more information or advise for this problem? Would having another male be a possible solution?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Male Guinea chasing and pecking new female hen
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:37 »
no idea but as I have just got two guinea fowls and think I will add to these I shall watch this thread with great interest. I have just purchased a book about guineas but not yet had it delivered.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 13:01 »
Is the new hen that is getting pecked definately a hen .Sometimes the gender can be a bit dubious and the cock bird will recognise it before you do.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 13:06 »
will two males live happily together if there is no female? I am not sure what sex the two are that I have been given but they do get on well although one is far more adventurous than the other.

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 19:55 »
Look at the wattles, if more cupped shaped then it's a cock. Some males can be relentless bullies, especially to those that they were not reared with.

sog1997

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:40 »
I believe they are female based on the female call they use. Which is another question I have. One of the two new hens constantly squalking. I wondered if she might eventually quiet a bit or if some hens just talk incessantly. Thank you for your replies

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 09:05 »
I believe they are female based on the female call they use. Which is another question I have. One of the two new hens constantly squalking. I wondered if she might eventually quiet a bit or if some hens just talk incessantly. Thank you for your replies

My understanding is that they are noisy birds and can be used as watches/deterrents as they kick up a fuss if there is someone strange around. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:29 »
yep they are noisy, one of mine flew over the beck during the night and woke us up at 4 this morning as he can't get back. Luckily for him the neighbours haven't moved in yet as she is very partial to roast guinea fowl, mind you he is still over there so unless he comes back home soon I will be roasting him just as soon as I can catch him  :lol:

Chablis Dog

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 07:13 »
I have seen guinea fowl for sale in the markets here and have been very tempted by them (I actually like the noise!).  However trawling around on the internet, the concensus of opinion is that you have to cage them in or else they fly off.  This has put me off having them as I want to see them out in the open (but not in my neighbours' pots!) but I would like to know what fowl owners actually do in reality.  Also if keeping them in a paddock is feasible, could I mix them with my chickens?

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 07:26 »
I have the two that Grannie Annie and Brian (so the Guineas are now called Annie and Brian) got for me and for the first couple of nights Brian kept flying over to next doors across the beck. He (not sure what sex he is) has now had one wing clipped and so far this has contained him. The other guinea Annie (again not sure of the sex but all the signs are pointing to her being a her) has always stayed put. They don't want to go inside at night so I leave them sitting in the trees or on the fence. Which is why they wake me up at half four in the morning  :lol:. They are ok with my chickens but will give chase when I scatter the mixed corn around as they want it all. I have had them a week now and they will now eat the corn from my hands but still don't like being handled which is fine by me. They are noisy but like you I love the sound of them and am really pleased that I have them. Luckily for me my new neighbours across the beck also like them and when they get settled they are going to have chickens and guinea fowl as well so in the mornings it will be really noisy when their guineas call to mine and vice versa  :lol:

Chablis Dog

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 18:39 »
Thank you so much for this information although I still don't know now whether to get some guinea fowl.  The thought of not being able to get them in at night is scary.  I just don't imagine they would last long round here left to the mercy of a healthy fox population not to mention the pine martens and sundry other predators (including neighbours!).  However I see these poor creatures shoved into cages at the market and really want to take them home.  Ho hum, I shall have to mull it over for a bit longer although I am sure I will succumb in the long term, having been well and truly bitten by the bird bug!!!

xx
male or female

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 22:58
by lisa123
xx
male or female

Started by dennis on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 17:47
by jinty1911
xx
Male or Female?

Started by chloe on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 18:13
by Caralou
xx
Male or Female? Opinion please...

Started by peachesandclive on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 14:59
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 37 queries.