I'm sure they are going to eat their eggs the minute they see one!

• 5 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
hi after being told yesterday that one of my girls is going to start laying because of this strange sqwating thing I got excited and showed them a duck egg I have in the fridge
straight a way they were trying to peck it and if I'd left it with them I have no doubt it would hav been eaten. This is conerning are they just gonna eat all their own eggs before I get a chance to taste one ? I have read about the musted eg. And things like that. can this be used to prevent egg eating. It seems mean to feed a chicken mustard when it hasn't done anything wrong ( yet )
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

dizzylizzie

Hi, when i collect the eggs, my girls follow me around staring at my hands making an awful racket, i talk to them (as you do) and say looks girls its only and egg and when i show them what i have in my hand they all dive in thinking its a treat. They dont eat their eggs however. Be careful when 'showing' eggs to them because if they are used too having treats off you they will assume you are giving them treats and once an egg eating habit starts its very difficult to break. Some people like to put rubber/china eggs in the nest box to show them where to lay if they think they are close. They are not expensive and can be bought from alot of pets places now. It jas the added bonus that if they do peck it they wont break it and may get board of doing it before the real eggs come along.Try not to worry about problems before they happen though, you will drive yourself mad with 'what ifs?' . Its good that you have knowlage so you can be prepared, but chickens have been laying eggs forever and although some eat their eggs, most dont. Go and get your egg cups ready, im sure you will be having beautiful fresh eggs in no time :)

Pretty Chick

Before trying the mustard ect., try putting golf balls, rubber eggs and china eggs in their house. The chickens will hopefully peck these and lose the habit, if they start to eat their eggs.
All lives are precious.

compostqueen

just leave em to get on with it  :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
just leave em to get on with it  :D
+1
Cross the egg eating if you get to it, me thinks you wont.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Casey76

I often break any heavily soiled eggs on the ground and leave the hens to get on with it (and it's always a mad dash to see who can get there first, both for the yolk, and for the shell), and I haven't had a problem with them eating the eggs in the nest boxes yet!

xx
One minute wonky....

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 14:24
by ANHBUC
xx
a few last minute questions........

Started by bockhamptoners on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 00:30
by Brambles
xx
It's happening right this minute

Started by kooringa on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 18:42
by kooringa
xx
Last minute advice

Started by Zak the Rabbit on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 23:11
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 37 queries.