asparagus v bindweed

• 4 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

asparagus v bindweed
« on: May 17, 2010, 22:36 »
I'm growing asparagus for the 2nd year which is doing well, as, unfortunately is bindweed which I thought I'd dug out last year  >:(
As asparagus is shallow rooted I can't dig bindweed out. Could I paint the bindweed carefully with glycophosate or will it harm the asparagus ?

Trillium

Re: asparagus v bindweed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:45 »
Despite my careful clearing before I planted my asparagus, I have the same bindweed problem. When the bindweed shows it's face, I pull off most of the growth leaving a short stub above the ground and immediately give that a spritz with glyphosphate (on a non-windy day). It's the only way to restrict it's growth among asparagus roots. I find that an early season spraying sets the bindweed back for at least 2 years or more. You just have to keep watching for fresh growth in other areas and do the same as there's never just one or two clumps of the stuff.
If you feel nervous about spraying, hold a piece of newspaper or cardboard behind and around the bindweed stump so the spray can't spread.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:26 »
I have same issue

I let a little growth then use a sandwich bag.. put growth inside it... small spray and then seal bag as far as I can with stem just at one end of seal...
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:09 »
Another way of doing it would be when a bindweed shoot shows, plant a milk carton around it with the bottom cut off, and a bamboo cane, and leave it a few days and wait for the bindweed to start climbing the cane. Once it reaches a decent length remove the cane and unwind the tendril, and curl it into the bottom of the milk carton - then you have a decent amount to blitz with spray, in a confined area.

savbo

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:14 »
Could I paint the bindweed carefully with glycophosate or will it harm the asparagus ?

if you're painting it on i can't see it harming the asparagus...

xx
Bindweed

Started by Fafafifi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2006, 14:03
by Verminer
question
what to do with bindweed??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 11:47
by mumofstig
xx
Bindweed

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 14:30
by Kristen
xx
Bindweed - help!

Started by Nosher on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 18:41
by Trillium

Page created in 0.889 seconds with 36 queries.