Poorly Poots.

• 25 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Poorly Poots.
« on: May 17, 2010, 14:05 »
Well for the third time in 6 months the poots are suffering. They have a respiritory infection, bubbly eyes, sneezing, snotty nose and rattly chest (she is snoring like a trooper  :lol:), and so after treating with a broad based antibiotic (aureomycin) they are going back off to the vets.
She is a very fragile thing anyway (being too small to show) but what she lacks in size she more than makes up for in personality so will do all I can to keep her.
He seems to have poor eyesight as he kept trying to peck at the mixed corn and sweetcorn but he keep missing but I don't know if this is the result of this infection.
I am going to ask the vet for Denegard - has anybody else used this?
According to the leaflet that I picked up at the pig and poultry show it covers 3 types of Myco, 2 types of brachyspira, campylobactor spp7, staphylococcus aureus, avibacterium paragallinarum9, pasteurella multicocida10, ornithobacterium rhinotracheale11, clostridium perfringens 12, erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae13. Not sure if they have one of those as I am not a vet, doctor nor scientist but it seems to cover most things that it could be. There is no egg withdrawal although this isn't an issue as she isn't laying. I have both of them here at the side of me in the office but when recovered they are going out into a purpose made run, I know they won't like this as they have been used to free ranging but she has some peck marks on her head where she has been attacked and in winter they need to be under cover.
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Poorly Poots.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 14:14 »
Well like I said last week Joy, Sean at Outgate Poultry had a very bad dose of Myco in his flock year before last, his vet prescribed Denagard and he was VERY impressed with it.  Hope you get it and it does the job.  The people who make it, Novatis, told me it can also be used alongside aureomycin to produce a much broader spectrum AB.

Good Luck, your other little pooty's are looking forward to joining their bigger cousins!

joyfull

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 14:17 »
I didn't know you could use it at the same time as aureomycin so will have to mention it to the vet. Hopefully all will be sorted out ready for the even littler ones to join them  :lol:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 14:20 »
Oh Joy , im sorry you've got poorly ones- hope this other AB works for them x

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 14:25 »
I didn't know you could use it at the same time as aureomycin so will have to mention it to the vet. Hopefully all will be sorted out ready for the even littler ones to join them  :lol:

I did tell you that the other day when we were talking about it!  When we were at the show I think!

Brian said how's the rusty bikes?  :D

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 14:33 »
the rusties are thugs they have the cockerels quivering  :lol:. I am so tempted to get some hatching eggs and get some more. I thought it was so funny to see one of them on the roof of the lorry shed this morning after a close encounter with ollie  :lol:.

I know you mentioned denagard to me the otherday but didn't hear you say about using it along side aureomycin, it has got to be worth a try as whatever they have got just doesn't seem to want to go away (I know myco will always be there but I would like them to be well for a while).

Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 15:46 »
Good Luck Joy, What time are you off to the vets
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 15:55 »
twenty past six, we have several that will see chickens - when I first went to this practise there was only one but most have now been on courses that cover chickens so guess I am quite lucky. I still take photocopies of everything that I think will be relevant for the treatment. The vet I am seeing is one who carried out an autopsy for me on one of my araucana chicks last year so I know she knows her stuff.
I just am really worried about Mr Poots eyesight though as he is struggling to see his food  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 16:04 »
Joy,  I hope the little poots wil be pootling around again very soon :)

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 16:21 »
hope all goes well joyfull xxxx

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 16:29 »
Good luck with it all and I hope they can sort out what's wrong  :)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 16:32 »
Poor little Poots  :( Will be interesting to hear how the meds work. I hope they get better soon x

I did think about using my little ark and run for some poots, but worried about how hardy they are in the winter and decided that it was probably best not for me (my garden turns to mud in the winter). They are lovely little birds, so pretty and such personalities  :D

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 16:43 »
Just had Jackie my vet on the phone and she knows all about Denegard tiamulin so she is ordering me a bottle - it comes in 1 litre size and you only need 2mls per litre of water and you treat them for 3 - 5 days so hopefully by the weekend they will be fine. His eyesight deterioration will be due to the pressure of his sinuses being swollen so hopefully he will be ok. As the practise have seen the poots before they don't need to see them again, saves stressing them out more.
Don't know how much it will cost yet but to me it will be worth every penny.
As for hardiness Cara they need to be under cover in winter so we are building a covered run for them where I can hang sides on as well to protect them from the rain and snow, although it will be moveable so that they get fresh ground. Quite a few lost their poots over this last winter so I want to make sure mine have as much protection as possible.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 19:15 »
fingers crossed Joy that they all make a full recovery   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Pretty Chick

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 19:40 »
Hope all goes well joyfull  :)
All lives are precious.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by Elida on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 19:36
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Poorly hen

Started by laurahargreaves1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 15:50
by hillfooter
xx
poorly hen

Started by henkeeper on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 22:16
by henkeeper

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 38 queries.