cat problem?

• 10 Replies

sarah-king

• Experienced Member
cat problem?
« on: May 16, 2010, 21:26 »
A cat keeps digging up parts of my raised beds anyone any good ideas on what i can use to cover them or keep the cat away?

stentman

• Experienced Member
Re: cat problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 21:40 »
Always an issue for me as my next door neighbour has three of the things. Cats like to scrape a little hole and then do what cats do and recently dug ground is easier for them to do that in I guess. I have tried pepper dust and other commerical "deterents" and had minimal succes with any of them, plus they need to be topped up regularly. I now use a selection of physical barriers. My sweetcorn seedings are currently covered by 3 upturned old wire shelves from a long discarded freezer, my tiny radish with an big old plastic bread tray, plus various bits of sticks and twigs scattering in a pleasing pattern around the raised beds. For me a physical barrier of some kind is the only way I can be sure of cats not digging up what I have spent time nuturing and planting. 
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:06 »
I have some old trellising which I use specifically to lay over freshly turned soil and sowings to keep the cats off and is very effective  :)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

bigben

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:27 »
I have only been using this site for a year or so and have seen most threads about cat issues locked as they move away from the helpful start to become rather heated.

That said it is a real and valid issue. Would it be possible to create a guide of helpful and positive suggestions about what to do in this situation similar to the one on clearing an allotment and refer people to that?

penance

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:37 »
Netting!
We have 3 cats and it was an issue when i first started growing. Tried a few different things but the one with 100% success is putting netting over the ground.
If they cant dig they move on to somewhere else.

Rowan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:26 »
My cat has taken to using the new raised beds in the garden a his personal litter tray. I used netting ot keep him out of any beds i didn't want disturbed. He is now using the Onion bed, apart form the odd bent over onion from his fat backside he's not doing too much harm. (he only seems to wee in the onion bed)

If your problem cat is anything like mine, you'll not get it to stop, so a barrier (netting) is the only option.

Ta

Ro

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:52 »
Another one for voting for netting its the only real way i can keep the neighbours cats  >:( off my raised beds at home.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 11:07 »
I second the suggestion to add netting. Keep the size small and it will work for other critters as well - I thought I had a problem with cats getting in the raised boxes, until I found out it was actually a squirrel digging enthusiastically in it...

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:10 »
i have the same problem, i just put down clippings from my hawthorn hedge... funny they don’t seem to enjoy squatting on that!
I hate signatures but love irony

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 12:27 »
My house has a drive running alongside it which makes my garden easy to access for all the local cats who each seem to have their own preferred time of day to go on patrol (usually includes intense "watching" of the goldfish in my pond which is fortunately netted!)

Cats are creatures of habit and luckily the local ones are in the habit of pooing elsewhere ("spraying"; different matter!)

From time to time I have noticed them doing what I'd rather they didn't do in a freshly raked seed-bed, but these days there are so many pigeons about that I have to drape plastic netting over nearly everything anyway and that seems to be enough to put the cats off because they can't "scrat"!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

digby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 11:30 »
I lay down the sticks that I use later as pea sticks over the area - seems to work

xx
Grape vine problem and pea problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:17
by Ma Lowe
xx
Pea problem

Started by hardcj on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 14:23
by potatogrower
xx
Can anyone I.D this problem?

Started by Tugster on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 09:57
by birmancats
xx
pH Problem

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 24, 2017, 12:21
by hiccup

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 37 queries.