bloodshot eye

• 11 Replies

pheobe1

• birdhouse blues
bloodshot eye
« on: May 16, 2010, 18:29 »
hi, my broody hen has a bloodshot eye.Do i need to see a vet? Any advice would be most welcome.
I love my chickens

Pretty Chick

Re: bloodshot eye
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 19:04 »
Is it possible for you to post a photo of the bloodshot eye?
It might help some of us to see the photo, then we can give you better advice  :)
If you do take a photo, don't stress her out, if she doesn't want you to take her photo, let her be and we'll see how we can help you without it  :happy:
All lives are precious.

pheobe1

• birdhouse blues
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 19:56 »
hi, am unable to send a picture at mo.She is settled in the birdhouse. I have checked her all over for other injuries especially the head. There are no sctatches on the eye and i cant see anthing in it ,its just completly red. As she is broody its difficult to tell if the eye hurts although she allowed me to handle and cuddle her without any bother. Thanks for replying so quickly, i will worry until i no whats wrong! Many thanks x

Pretty Chick

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:05 »
Is she eating and drinking (you could check her crop) ?
Is she perky or rather tired looking?
What colour is her other eye?
How long has she had the bloodshot eye?
How old is she?

Sorry for all the questions, but the answers may help us  :D

Pretty Chick

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:08 »
How long has she had the bloodshot eye?

I mean how long has her eye been bloodshot?  :lol:

pheobe1

• birdhouse blues
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:20 »
hi, her eye has been bloodshot for two days. She not eating as much since she became broody three weeks ago. She is reluctant to leave the coop. Her favourite foods and treats dont temp her, however she still eats her mash and pellets-but not as much as befor she became broody. her crop is not very full.When i take her out of the coop she will only free range for a short while befor she becomes very vocal and agitated to get back inside. She is happy to have a cuddle but is aggressive and impatient with my other hen. She is a silkie,ten months old, been laying for two months, but not layed an egg since she became broody. If i dont let her back inside her house she goes mad to sit on me or be picked up!  My other hen is a silkie/orpington cross,five months old,she just wants  to play all day in the garden and is fed up of playing alone and tries to intice my silkie out to no avail! Hope this helps. Many thanks x  x x

pheobe1

• birdhouse blues
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:23 »
sorry,forgot to mention that her other eye is perfectly ok x

pheobe1

• birdhouse blues
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:28 »
also! my silkie definatly the boss,so i ruled out bullying from the other hen! x x x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:36 »
her eye could have got scratched by some straw or a branch etc. It might be worth getting her checked over by a vet - she may need some antibiotic cream for her eye just incase it is infected.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 14:47 »
I am no expert in the chooks eye, however I assume the basic anatomy is the same as ours.
Which part is bloodshot?
There is a small white area around (sclera) and the iris (coloured bit).
In us humans (some debate about some members  :D) it can be caused by several things, but basicaly its a sub-congenital haemorrhage that will sort its self out, it can take a few days to sort or a week or so, the eye has a large amount of blood and loads of vessels. She may of been straining and burst it. If it is then time will heal.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 16:30 »
just wanted to say Aidy that is one brillant piccy, that eye is amazing.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:10 »
I will hold my hand up, i pinched it  :unsure: but it serves the purpose for what I wanted to explain.

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 37 queries.