Rye grass roots

• 12 Replies

granjan

• Experienced Member
Rye grass roots
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:43 »
I've been digging up lots of rye grass roots over the last week or so.   I've spread them out to dry with a view to composting them eventually.  I am wasting my time?  Will they regenerate even when they look desiccated?  If not, how long would anyone recommend leaving them before composting?

Many thanks  :)

compostqueen

Re: Rye grass roots
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:20 »
If you're worried you can burn them and return the ash to the plot. They do dry out quite quickly on warm windy days though

You can put the lot in a big tub of water to kill them off but it takes about 3 weeks or more to stop them growing and it stinks to high heaven, but then you can add them to the compost bin sure that they're dead.  I'd use the water too but not on my seedlings I hasten to add  :D

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:07 »
Thanks Compost Queen.   I normally use the water method but, as you say, it really stinks.  Anything that smelly has to be a good fertiliser though ;)

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 14:09 »
I may be being dim here, but rye grass can be sown as a green compost and dug back into into the plot, so surely there would be no problem just putting it straight into the compost.  Wicken grass (aka twitch, couch and cutch grass) is a different prospect, re-growing from just a bit of root, and best put in the green bin for the council or burnt.
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 14:20 »
I may be being dim here, but rye grass can be sown as a green compost and dug back into into the plot, so surely there would be no problem just putting it straight into the compost.  Wicken grass (aka twitch, couch and cutch grass) is a different prospect, re-growing from just a bit of root, and best put in the green bin for the council or burnt.

Yes you're right.  Sorry :blush:

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 16:11 »
I was just thinking that myself. When you turn under the ryegrass, give it at least 3-4 weeks to breakdown before planting (which means turning it under a month before you expect to plant).

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 17:28 »
I meant to say couch grass.  It was (another) senior moment ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 17:31 »
If couch is on the plot it's easier to dispose of there rather than cart it home for the green bin  :D    I like to burn couch rhizomes - such a satisfying sizzle  :D

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 19:45 »
Wow, big difference between couch and rye  :happy: I wait for a good rain and afterward the roots pull up quite easily. I then simply leave them on a bit of paver or somewhere hard so they can dry up and shrivel in the sun. That'll do it every time

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 17:14 »
I meant to say couch grass.  It was (another) senior moment ;)

I have those moments, granjan, by the bucketful !!!!   Just keep pulling it out when you see it and you will get a cleaner plot ... ours was riddled when we first started the year before last, now we only see the odd bit ... mainly sprouting up between the pavers we've used as pathways!   (gran)jeanieblue !!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 18:54 »
I've been digging those thick white roots  :mad: out of my lottie today, some of them went soooo deep into the concrete (clay  :ohmy:) that I couldn't get 'em all. Did my best and that'll have to do :tongue2: left them all on a bit of concrete to shrivel.
At least I didn't put them in the compost pile  ::)

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 23:03 »
Some of the worse ones on my plot are amongst the raspberries.  They were so bad that I dug some of the canes up and cleaned them up before replanting last autumn.  The only trouble is that the couch seems to have been replaced with marestail  :(  I can't win!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:58 »
marestail does seem to grow when you disturb the soil though.
I had none in my side border till I dug it last winter...........I suppose you break deep roots and it grows from the breaks >:( I wish it wouldn't  :mad:

sorry I wandered off topic (as usual :lol: )

xx
couch grass roots

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 17:11
by RichardA
xx
composting couch grass, roots and other nasties.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 21:24
by flowerpower
clip
Roots roots roots - reviving my plot

Started by BuddingGrower on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 22:57
by compostqueen
xx
roots

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 06, 2007, 19:31
by gobs

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 30 queries.