Courgettes

• 29 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Re: Courgettes
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 19:26 »
yeah mine are the same the seeds seem fine they haven't gone mushy or anything.

i have a new set going now but i've left the old ones as they are.. worst case i end up with tons of courgettes .. tbh i can think of worst things.

Last year my dad said 6 plants was too many, yet not a single courgette went to waste.  :D

What sort of pots? i have asda flower buckets with holes punched though at the bottom/side. do you think that will work?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 19:33 »
It has been far too cold in unheated greenhouses with the recent cold / frosty spell for courgettes to be happy, let alone germinate.  My seed packet says temperature of 15-18 degrees C for germination purposes.

As regards buckets, I would think that flower buckets will be too top-heavy for courgettes; they are quite tall and thin, whereas courgettes can have a diameter of up to 1m.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 20:09 »
Ive had brilliant success with germination this year, out of 30 seeds, ive had 29 germinate. Don't worry, i don't plant that many in the lottie, did 6 last year, but doing 10 or 12 this year. I prefer to use them much smaller than the shops sell them. Also chargrilled and kept in jars of olive oil mmmmm.

I just used regular potting compost from wickes, 4 bags for 12 quid. I sowed 2 seeds into 3 inch pots, watered them and covered them in clingfilm. Then placed them next to a radiator in the spare room. Some have got 5 leaves now and have been moved into 7 inch pots.

Steve

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 20:14 »
the wickes compost is lovely this year, very crumbly rather than lumpy, and i've had no failures in it  ;)

cliff

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 20:15 »
Okie trying again, i've been out and bought some john innes for seedlings hopefully that will do the trick. I've planted one of each type in a pot if they come up i'll plant another set.

Another Courgette question, i've heard of people doing them in Pots, arn't they abit awkward for pots? last year was my first year growing anything and i had my courgettes in the soil direct but im currently looking at stuff to fill some asda flower buckets. Arn''t courgettes kinda un-weildly for pots.. just thinking they where kinda sprawly (technical term honest) but not in the same way my cuc's where as the main stem was thick and inflexable.. don't them make a pot tip over?
i do mine in flower buckets and had no problems this is mine now already had a few courgettes off it

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 20:22 »
Cliff doenst that fall over? it looks very one sided?

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 20:29 »
i used john innes number 2 for potting on and germination and it works a treat

cliff

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 20:30 »
Cliff doenst that fall over? it looks very one sided?

Hi as of yet it hasnt fallen over  :happy: but this is the 1st time growing in a pot and its in the conservatory seems ok so far but ive grown rather a few which are in the greenhouse and outside this one is just an experiment and for a few early courgettes

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 20:18 »
I had a 100%  germination rate for both the courgette varieties I'm growing (dwarf Milano and Cousa Trieste). I put them in a heated propagator, and they were out in 4 or 5 days. The seeds were from realseeds.co.uk.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 20:48 »
Ok my courgettes have germinated indoors on the windowsill. Now what? Leave them there or the alternative is unheated mini greenhouse? Please Help. Also same advice for my squash and pumpkins please.
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

Elcie

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 20:56 »
Ok my courgettes have germinated indoors on the windowsill. Now what? Leave them there or the alternative is unheated mini greenhouse? Please Help. Also same advice for my squash and pumpkins please.

With the nice weather that we are having at the moment I would suggest that you put them outside during the day and then bring them in at night to harden them off (get them used to colder conditions).  Once you have done this for a few days/week then they are ok to stay outside, frost permitting.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 21:25 »
Many thanks Elcie. My hundred weight pumpkins have just burst through the soil and i dont want to risk them being too warm or too cold as Ive got my eyes on the winning post in the pumpkin competition.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 22:13 »
My courgetes finally look like they are doing something.  But dont get me started on the pumpkins...  >:(

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 21:37 »
My courgettes have come back from the dead!   :ohmy: :blink: :unsure: :wub: :nowink: :wacko: 8)

Been a way for a while and I have small courgette plants! 
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

fatcat1955

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 22:48 »
Iv,e planted 10 courgettes and 6 marrow plants in pots in my tunnel. All the courgettes are up and looking really healthy but i,m still waiting for the marrows.

xx
F1 courgettes

Started by kgaskell on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2016, 08:03
by Swing Swang
xx
Courgettes

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 11:22
by digalotty
xx
COURGETTES

Started by wildeone on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 12:10
by mum of 3
xx
Little courgettes going bad

Started by Sal1610 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 23:47
by KT

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 38 queries.