How many portions per plant?

• 17 Replies

MrsB

How many portions per plant?
« on: May 15, 2010, 22:13 »
Hello.

I am interested in dedicated a large portion of the garden to growing fruit and veg and quite like the idea of The Edible Garden type thing.

However, i don't know how many portions i'd get per plant and would like to know so i can be a bit more organised.

So if i plant a cauliflower, for example, do i just get one cauliflower from it?

If i plant a courgettes plant - how many corgettes might i expect to get?

Is there some kind of chart somewhere?

Thanks

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: How many portions per plant?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 22:33 »
A cauliflower = one cauli.  A courgette = so many you get really fed up with them after a few months.  Don't know of a chart anywhere.
Cheese makes everything better.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 22:37 »
For the majority of seeds it is one plant per seed (a notable exception being beetroot, unless it is a monogerm) therefor one cauli per seed. However with courgettes you get one plant but loads of courgettes, providing you keep cropping them. Sweet corn should produce one or two cobs per plant depending on the variety. It does vary a bit (a lot) between different plants.

I would read up a little more and decide what veg you do want to grow. then work out how many of each you need

I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 22:38 »
I've not planted any runner beans this year because I'm absolutely fed up with them.  I've planted climbing French beans this year, so I'm hoping for plenty.  The thing with growing stuff is you may get plenty of one thing one year, and nothing much the next.  My first year of growing, I grew cucumbers (you get four seeds in a packet), I planted them all, they all came up and I've two away and kept 2 for myself and got a really good harvest.  The second year of growing them, I went through two packets (8 in total), lost them all, and ended up being given a couple of plants which died on my - you never know from one year to the next - that's what makes growing, for me anyway, interesting :lol:
Babs

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 00:46 »
I've not planted any runner beans this year because I'm absolutely fed up with them.  I've planted climbing French beans this year, so I'm hoping for plenty.  The thing with growing stuff is you may get plenty of one thing one year, and nothing much the next.  My first year of growing, I grew cucumbers (you get four seeds in a packet), I planted them all, they all came up and I've two away and kept 2 for myself and got a really good harvest.  The second year of growing them, I went through two packets (8 in total), lost them all, and ended up being given a couple of plants which died on my - you never know from one year to the next - that's what makes growing, for me anyway, interesting :lol:

How can you get fed up with runner beans?  They are the ambrosia of veggies!   :D :D

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 06:44 »

How can you get fed up with runner beans?  They are the ambrosia of veggies!   :D :D

Runners epitomise everything about growing your own. One of the most expensive, low quality items supermarkets insist on stocking and you can have your own organic one's at a fraction of the price and tasting a hundred times better!!

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:51 »
{snip}.....you can have your own organic one's at a fraction of the price and tasting a hundred times better!!
Applies to just about everything of course, not just runners, and I think I am not alone in viewing every one of the veggies I have grown as being utterly different critters from their supermarket supposed equivalents.  Need look no further than stepping out of the kitchen door and returning seconds later with handfuls of fresh salad leaves that are in no way anything like the soggy and chemically tainted slop that the supermarkets offer!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Elcie

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 19:54 »
You also get things like spinach, purple sprouting broccoli and salad leaves which are 'cut and come again'.  You cut some leaves of spinach for example, and before you know it they have grown back again!

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 20:00 »
There isn't a determinate number of portions per plant as such, as it all depends on conditions (weather, soil etc).

Cauli, cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, carrot, beetroot (only 1 useful one really), leeks, onions, parsnips, you're looking at 1 per seed.

Courgette (20ish per plant), Beans, peas, spuds, squashes, sweetcorn, tomatoes etc, numerous fruits per plant.

Runners are so much better than ones in shops, but as everyone says, so is pretty much everything!

Steve

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 22:08 »
This would be a very interesting project for someone who knows more about this than me. Maybe the best way to do this would be to do it by the square metre with number of plants and weight of crops over the year (so with radishes you would get several harvests in a year).
I suppose some could be:
courgettes, 1 plant giving maybe 5 kilos
runners; 1 teepee of 6 plants giving maybe 10 kilos
cabbage; 4 plants giving 4 heads

anyone want to take this further?

Charlie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 22:15 »
Get the Vegetable & Herb Expert by Dr G Hessayon.

It already has the info in it  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 22:21 »
I have written in my old gardening notebook (don't know where these figures came from)
all from a 12ft row:-
50lb runner beans
6lb green beans
14lb calabrese
10 cabbages
9lb leeks
20lb onions (from sets)
14lb shallots  "       "
170 salad onions from a double sowing
8lb peas
16lb mangetout
32lb tomatoes...........................................I obviously only picked out what I was growing at the time as don't have all the veg listed :blink:

andy135

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 22:57 »
I have written in my old gardening notebook (don't know where these figures came from)
all from a 12ft row:-
50lb runner beans
6lb green beans
14lb calabrese
10 cabbages
9lb leeks
20lb onions (from sets)
14lb shallots  "       "
170 salad onions from a double sowing
8lb peas
16lb mangetout
32lb tomatoes...........................................I obviously only picked out what I was growing at the time as don't have all the veg listed :blink:

Thanks for that, Lesley. Very useful.  :)

hamstergbert

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 14:36 »
....all from a 12ft row...

and about 60ft wide?   

Seriously though MoS, a productivity level like that reported is seriously intimidating to us of the more duffer tendency end of the growing spectrum!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 14:56 »
Oh no, they weren't my own yields :lol:...........just predicted yields from some book I'd read.
I wouldn't pretend to be a super duper veg grower :ohmy:......just the usual bodger and hope type :D

xx
Looking for a seed supplier with small portions.

Started by Bodmass on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post November 20, 2011, 17:09
by dannie
xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
Not seen one for a while.. what to plant now?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 21, 2009, 17:47
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.616 seconds with 30 queries.