Raspberry problems

• 19 Replies

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
Raspberry problems
« on: May 15, 2010, 15:31 »
Hi, i'm wondering if someone can help me with this, i got given some smallish raspberry plants about 2 weeks ago, i've planted them in a large clay pot with compost watered them ect but they don't look very happy, i've never really grown anything before so have no idea what i'm doing, some of the leaves are wilting and going slightly silverish...
DSC07948.JPG
DSC07949.JPG
DSC07950.JPG

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Raspberry problems
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 15:34 »
It's the wrong time of year to be moving raspberries, they should be moved whilst dormant.

Are they summer fruiting? Stick with them, they may throw up some new growth.

Also the level of compost in your pots could do with raising.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 15:42 »
Agree with DD. They're really sulking because they've been moved during growth. Keep watering them and they should come back.

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 18:43 »
Thank for the advice, have filled the pot up with more compost and will keep my fingers crossed for them, unfortunatly i got no infomation about them when i got them, a lady from freecycle gifted them to me and left them bare rooted wrapped in kitchen roll on her doorstop for me, not quite the best start for them i guess, also should i leave them outside (we live at the top of a hill in gloucestershire, weathers not been great recently) or stick them in my greenhouse? cheers....

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 22:43 »
I'd put them in the greenhouse for now as wind will quickly dry out the leaves and kill the whole plant. Keep watering them regularly to get them back to health, maybe add a drop or 2 of some liquid fertilizer to the water to give them a boost. When the weather is much nicer for summer, it would be safe to plant them in their outside spot.

boosh

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:28 »
OPPPPs i planted 5 yesterday that i was given,

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 09:50 »
I wouldn't worry too much about the raspberries - in my experience they're pretty much impossible to kill!   :ohmy:  Mine refuse to stay in the bed where I put them, so periodically I dig them up from wherever they've invaded and bung them in pots.  Apart from not liking pots generally (which I think is a feeding thing), they've all taken and have been fine.  Keep them well watered and out of the cold (until established) and they should be OK.

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 12:03 »
thats great, stuck them in a pot for now, not sure where i'm going to plant them in the garden, still have a lot of digging and sorting to do out there, got some space down the side of the building to make a veg patch but its full of stones, bricks and bits of broken lawnmower at the moment!

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 20:41 »
OPPPPs i planted 5 yesterday that i was given,

That's fine, they need to be in the ground really. Goth's are a bit poorly and I think the space they need to go in isn't ready yet, so they need a bit more protection.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 20:50 »
I wouldn't worry too much about the raspberries - in my experience they're pretty much impossible to kill!   :ohmy:  Mine refuse to stay in the bed where I put them, so periodically I dig them up from wherever they've invaded and bung them in pots. 

Snap. Raspberries are harder to get rid of than grow. I have just dug dozens out of my allotment as they have started to take over.  :)
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 21:30 »
I'm thinking of moving them permanently to a specially created bed - dig a deep trench and put paving slabs or similar along the sides, to try and keep them in one place!  Nothing even seems to eat or damage them much... deer, maybe, but we've never had those in the garden!  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 22:59 »
I'm thinking of moving them permanently to a specially created bed - dig a deep trench and put paving slabs or similar along the sides, to try and keep them in one place!  Nothing even seems to eat or damage them much... deer, maybe, but we've never had those in the garden!  :)

If raspberries didn't produce such delicious fruit they would probably be regarded as an invasive weed!

They will laugh at obstacles like paving slabs; my current record is for a sucker to appear 8 feet away from the nearest plant having travelled under two rows of paving slabs!

Hoeing off any suckers appearing where you don't want them works for a while, but eventually a wide area beyond your intended neat row will have become invaded by roots and potential suckers.

I find the best way of holding them back is to periodically make vertical cuts downwards using a very sharp spade about 18" (minimum) from the nearest plants to sever any over-adventurous roots, which are fairly near the surface.

Doesn't work 100%, but better than letting them rampage all over your plot!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 07:07 »
Ok what the hell am i doing wrong then, i've managed to kill 6 raspberries .. bought them and they where fine but every single one of them died :(

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 08:51 »
Ok what the hell am i doing wrong then, i've managed to kill 6 raspberries .. bought them and they where fine but every single one of them died :(

:ohmy:  That's got to be some natural talent!!   :lol:

(I'm married to a man like that - he managed to kill mint.  Mint!!)

gillie

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 08:54 »
There is a lot of difference between summer and autumn raspberries.  I find the summer ones temperamental, but the autumn ones rampage!

Gillie

clip
Raspberry problems?

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 07:51
by mdjlucan
xx
Raspberry problems

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2020, 17:07
by londongardener
xx
raspberry problems; help needed

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 09:09
by Grubbypaws
clip
Raspberry leaf problems

Started by Potatogoddess on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2016, 22:23
by Salmo

Page created in 1.326 seconds with 38 queries.