whiffy girl

• 5 Replies

calamityjane77

whiffy girl
« on: May 13, 2010, 20:41 »
Hi All

so it's been at least a week since I asked a question and now we've had the girls a month I'm a getting to grips with most things  :D

BUT, one of my girls really really smells! None of the others do just Blossom and the only way I can describe the smell is like dog poo ???

She looks clean and has been using a dust bath, there appears to be no reason for this smell. so I guess my question is can I give her a bath? If so is there any chicken shampoo available?

Thanks in advance for your help  :)

Pretty Chick

Re: whiffy girl
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 20:56 »
Yes you can give her a bath, I always give my orpingtons a warm bath when their bottoms get a bit mucky because of the fluff surrounding it. They look much better for it.
I give mine a wash with warm water and use mild shampoo. I'm not sure if there's such a thing as chicken shampoo, but there could well be.
Let her dry off and dust bathe, then I'm sure she'll smell a little better!!  :)
All lives are precious.

SuzyandtheBs

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 22:08 »
Hello, One of my girls smells every now and then, sometimes it lasts a couple of days sometimes it's just a quick wiff. At first I was very concerned but couldn't find any reason for it now I have just given up and decided that it's just the way she is. Not very helpful I'm afraid.   ???

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 23:12 »
Have a good sniff in her beak.... if it is really smelly breath then she could be affected with mycoplasma which is a bit scary :(

I might be well off track here but my hens breath stinks and that is waht I have been told :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 23:49 »
You can use animal safe shampoo or baby shampoo/soap.  Use warm water and towel as dry as possible and use a hair dryer on a medium heat setting.  They actually quite enjoy being blasted by warm air.  Be careful to not over heat them.

Infectious Coryza produces a very distinctive smell but is usually accompanied by sneezing, runny noses, swollen sinuses and faces, bubbly eyes and conjunctivitis and they will appear very depressed.

HF
Truth through science.

calamityjane77

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 16:48 »
thanks all.

No smelly breath, no runny nose, sneezing etc so I shall give her a bath and put it down to her just being a bit stinky  ::)

xx
Girl or boy?

Started by symonep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 12:22
by symonep
xx
old girl

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 11:52
by redjane11
xx
boy or girl?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 23:31
by IMOmimey
xx
sad girl

Started by caroline or on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 13:47
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.7 seconds with 36 queries.