so much for careful transplanting...

• 6 Replies

PennyS

• My website
so much for careful transplanting...
« on: May 13, 2010, 13:59 »
This morning I was watering my brassicas - got loads of varying types in root trainers, pots etc.  I realised to my horror that there were some I hadn't thinned, so I did a bit of thinning there and then.

I just ripped out the unwanted plants, but then took a look at them and they had a fair bit of root on, so I took a chance on repotting them.

Gave them a good water, and a few hours later they're actually looking quite perky so I think I might have got away with it...

Just shows you ... in the past I've been so careful with transplanting!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

8doubles

Re: so much for careful transplanting...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 14:11 »
I`ve heard of an old gardener who used to split the brassicas and throw them on the path in the sun to `scare `em a bit' before planting.
He reckoned that a worried plant tried harder than a mollycoddled one. :D

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 14:30 »
true for brassicas. I assume.
I had mine in a tray and went on to plant all at plot and had loads left. gave away for free to my sons school and finally left the 3 sorry looking on the tray. couple of days later the tray ones had the biggest leaves of the lot.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 14:37 »
Brassicas are tough old things, wouldn't recommend this sort of treatment if you're trying to transplant parsnips etc.!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 14:38 »
I`ve heard of an old gardener who used to split the brassicas and throw them on the path in the sun to `scare `em a bit' before planting.
He reckoned that a worried plant tried harder than a mollycoddled one. :D

Now that's done it - I now have a mental image of the thinnings I didn't replant, lying on the patio in sheer terror (I haven' t picked them up yet as I was late for a meeting).  I guess by now they're truly terrified, so I wonder how big they'll grow if I pot them on now     :wacko:

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:22 »
Update on this - the "thinnings" that I yanked out, chucked on the patio and later put into roottrainers, are looking miles better than the original plants.

Early days yet I know, but I reckon I might have stumbled on something.  I reckon there might be something in this "scaring" brassicas!!

Will let you know how they do in the long run. I'll make a note where I plant out the "scared" ones and the "mollycoddled" ones and compare.  :)

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 13:10 »
My first lot were getting munched by probably snails so someone recommended a collar (just a slice out a big juice bottle) and they are doing really well now, no new nibbled bits and growing fast.

xx
transplanting

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 12:01
by m1ckz
xx
Transplanting?

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 12:01
by Kristen
xx
transplanting at last.

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:52
by agapanthus
xx
Transplanting?

Started by Patrick on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 21:47
by muntjac

Page created in 0.787 seconds with 28 queries.