grapes

• 4 Replies

Sarah817

• Sarah Designs
grapes
« on: May 13, 2010, 13:45 »
Just bought grape seeds via amazon.co.uk and just wondering if anybody here has grown grapes in the south east of england??

I've researched a lot and would like to hear from those who has actually grown grapes in uk.

Sarah

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Re: grapes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 14:23 »
We have two grape vines. One was grown from seed and has been outside for the last 25+ years... never flowered/fruited though.

The other we brought the year before last, it had a small bunch the year we put it in, none last year but it put on a lot of growth and this year there are loads of flower buds so fingers crossed for grapes later in the year :)

If you are growing from seed then I think you have to wait several years to get crops and I don't know how reliable it is. I'm presuming if you've brought the seed they'll be more likely to crop than one just grown from a grape (like mine).

Sarah817

• Sarah Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 14:48 »
25 years?? wow I'm crossing my fingers for you! Hopefully you'll have some grapes soon!

i'm currently following instructions by the seed company. I've plut the seeds in a ziplock with moist sphagnum moss and placed it in the fridge. Can only sow after 90 days. I only have 10 seeds and they aren't cheap lol.

Can i ask though, what compost are you using? Are you using all purpose peat free compost? Some website suggest compost mixed with horse manure, others suggest organic.

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 18:49 »
When we were living in Berkshire, I bought a pot grown vine from Wisley, planted it behind our shed, and trained the growth along a three foot fence that ran along a South facing deck. Not much happened in year one, but the following year we had lots of growth and fruit (the grapes were quite small but I think that may have been because I didn't prune the vine during the summer and it grew about 4mtrs).
Since moving to Cognac, I have learnt that the vine roots go a long way down so I wouldn't recommend restricting your vines to a container.

Growing from seed sounds like quite a challenge. I'd be interested to hear how it goes so keep us posted  :)

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 19:05 »
Both of mine are in the ground so can't help with compost, sorry.

I think our old grape won't fruit at this point. I think there's a risk when you grow grapes from a seed that you get a male plant that doesn't fruit. I'm not sure if that's just supermarket grape seeds though.

The foliage is lovely bright green though so it's a nice ornamental plant anyway :)

xx
grapes

Started by crowman24 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 10:51
by crowman24
xx
Grapes again

Started by Brad26 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 12:35
by Stevens706
xx
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 10:34
by mumofstig
xx
grapes

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 14:49
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 35 queries.