Courgettes

• 9 Replies

mpv1961

Courgettes
« on: May 12, 2010, 21:58 »
Having never grown courgette's i have done so from seed, i have quite a few seedlings coming along very nicely. My question is do i just plant them out side do they need a wall/fence/trellis or just leave them internet is very vague on this. Thanks for any advice given.  ???
two thing you should never worry about, yesterday and tomorrow.

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
Re: Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 22:01 »
Ive got mine in the greenhouse and supported with a bamboo cane but i too have never grown a courget so im more than likely doing it wrong lol

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 22:06 »
Courgettes don't need any staking. They will run rampant all by themselves! Don't put  them out until it's warmer though.......they won't like it  :blush:
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 22:07 »
Put them somewhere sunny and let them sprawl , they will be fine.

Redgoat

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 22:56 »
Grew some two years ago straight in the ground. The only support I used was some old roof slates underneath them to prevent them getting dirty and to keep a lid on the weeds. It seemed to work really well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 06:04 »
Ive got mine in the greenhouse and supported with a bamboo cane but i too have never grown a courget so im more than likely doing it wrong lol

Do you intend growing them in there? They do not need to be grown in a greenhouse and can take up a lot of valuable space.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 06:07 »
Having never grown courgette's i have done so from seed, i have quite a few seedlings coming along very nicely. My question is do i just plant them out side do they need a wall/fence/trellis or just leave them internet is very vague on this. Thanks for any advice given.  ???

It should have told you on the seed packet how to treat them.

Your average courgette will not trail, but grow into a large plant with a centre. As previously stated there is no need to stake them.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36 »
The great thing about courgettes is that once the weather is warm enough you just plonk them in the ground, water them (but don't drown them) and let them get on with it.

(Don't soak the leaves in full sunlight)

Only thing you really will need to do is keep a close eye on them or the little green courgettes will turn into massive marrows.

I have never needed stakes or anything else just a wheel-barrow to lug the fruits home!  ;)

Easieee peasiess

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:38 »
I always start mine off in trays at home in the conservatory, :D then when I have two true leaves, I replant them into 3" pots :tongue2:, and when they double in size I take them to the greenhouse, and then when they are slightly bigger I put them in the cold frame and last week, I planted them outside along with the pumpkin ::).  Just hope this cold snap doesn't bother them, but I think they are a little hardy :ohmy:
Babs

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:46 »
They have pretty large leaves and in a strong breeze the whole plant will rock to and fro which seems to put quite a strain on the stem; I usually put a couple of strategically placed short sticks in to steady the ship!

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
courgettes etc

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 14:59
by Trillium
xx
courgettes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2018, 20:25
by Aidy
xx
courgettes

Started by jarigo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 10:22
by DD.
xx
what's up with my courgettes?

Started by trimmy g on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 20:10
by Togalosh

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 37 queries.