Shall I risk it and put my toms outside? ( once the frosts have gone )

• 6 Replies

mclarkuk1

I brought 4 tomato plants about a month ago. 2 Sweet Millions and 2 Beefsteak. When i brought them they were about 5-6 inches tall.

I have kept them in the conservatory ever since and about 2 weeks ago they shot up very quickly more than doubling in hieght in no more than a week. They now stand at about 18 inches and each one has a truss full of flowers but they have stopped growing in hieght. I started feeding them with westland tomato food once weekly like it says on the bottle.

I have been taking out the side shoots on the Sweet Millions as it says so on the ticket that came with them, but the Beefsteak seems a very short ( shorter than the Sweet Millions ) branchy/leafy plant. It doesnt say to pull the side shoots on the Beefsteak.

I thought i read on the forum somewhere that larger tomato plants tend to be tall and cherry tomato plants were of a bush variety, mine seem to be the complete opposite.

Anyway, I want them to grow like they did a week or 2 ago but wonder wether its because they arent outside. Should I stop being over cautious and get them out once the frosts finish or am I being impatient?

I have been hardening them off gradually by the way  :D

M Clark

foxydan

I wouldn't just yet. It does depend where you are but I'm in London and not putting mine out at least until end of month or early june. We had frost in London last night.

Ice

• muck spreader
Keep them inside at night and stop feeding them.  You only feed when the tomatoes have set, not the flowers.
Cheese makes everything better.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
i will be cautious with mine and leave them inside. But need to put up some form of screen in greenhouse as some of the leaves have withered a bit and gone a bit brown which I think is becuase of the direct sun scorching them.

Ice

• muck spreader
I would have thought that sun scorch at this time of year was caused by watering.  Splashes on the leaves getting scorched by the sun.  Is it possible that you have made the leaves wet during watering?

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
I planted one of my spare tomatoe plants outside last week to see how it did,went well for a few days then the first night the temp fell too much the tomatoe plant was a gonna  :(
Keep them indoors for a bit yet if i was you  :blink:

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
I would have thought that sun scorch at this time of year was caused by watering.  Splashes on the leaves getting scorched by the sun.  Is it possible that you have made the leaves wet during watering?

no. Not a drop. All the water was poured into the compost at stem level of plants

xx
Frosts?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 28, 2007, 21:48
by muntjac
xx
frosts

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 21:29
by richyrich7
xx
More frosts and cold weather due

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 09:35
by Plottered
xx
Japanese/Autumn onions and frosts

Started by beesrus on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 16:30
by jondav14

Page created in 2.087 seconds with 36 queries.