Plot offered through landshare

• 4 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Plot offered through landshare
« on: May 12, 2010, 13:19 »
We've been lucky enough to have been offered some space to grow a few miles from home though the landshare website. The lady has kindly offered us a purpose built Victorian raised bed system along with a vintage glasshouse, shed and water facilities. All she asks in return is we keep it neat and tidy, mow the pathways and trim the hedge once or twice a year. I'm looking for suggestions as to what to grow there that'll be low maintenance as we can probably only manage to get there twice a week at most. There are 4 beds to use. I was thinkiing raspberries as, once established, don't need daily care but what else?

I do Runner, french beans, tom's and courgettes at home as they need daily care come summer so won't consider those for this space.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!

GreenOwl

Re: Plot offered through landshare
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 13:55 »
Off the top of my head:
Potatoes, sweetcorn, gooseberries, blackberries, brassicas, leeks, onions, garlic, carrots, swede, beetroot, parsnips.

I wouldn't grow raspberries as when they need harvesting, they need harvesting every day.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 13:58 »
How marvellous!

How about sweetcorn, squashes, and if you can get hold of them now leeks and parsnips.

All good at looking after themselves and not on your "grown at home" list.  :blush:

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 14:39 »
Could the lady water it in very dry weather? That would extend the range you could grow.

Put cardboard down to keep moisture in, and weeds down? (I cover mine with rotted manure, which together with the cardboard gets "incorporated" in the Autumn, but looks tidy in the Summer :) )

Raspberries are a bit of a longer term proposition - light crop first year for Autumn-fruiting, medium crop the second year (both types), heavy crop from third year onwards

Also they could do with picking several times a week - perhaps not brill if you can't get there often?

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 18:13 »
Thanks for the suggestions so far, anyone else have any others?

xx
Finally I have been offered a plot!

Started by fluffypebble on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 20:15
by fluffypebble
xx
Updated: Been offered a plot - but did not get it

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

50 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 21:34
by Mrs Soup
xx
Allotment waiting lists and Landshare !

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 18:08
by jonewer
xx
Want a Garden or land to grow fruit and veg, try "Landshare"

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 19:16
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 37 queries.