Sweetcorn??

• 6 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn??
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:02 »
Morning All

After my first lot of sweetcorn went mouldy whilst chitting I decided to sow direct in toilet roll tubes did this the weekend and upon checking today I notice the rolls had a fur growing on them and a few had it growing on the compost so i decided to transplant them into pots as its going to be some time before they go out -  trouble is when I did this I noticed whilst the corns had chitted some where a little furry is this normal and ok or should I just go buy some more seeds???

Thanks
Missy

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:34 »
Toilet roll tubes do go furry, as can the surface of the compost if kept a bit too moist.

They would probably have been fine as they were, but having turfed the poor things out I would suggest you discard any dodgy looking ones and replace with new seed. On a warm sunny windowsill they should be through in 5-7 days; mine usually are!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:39 »
My first lot of corn sowings  ended with mixed results - just a few seem ok, most shoots seem to be browning and looking jaded, droopy and dying, frankly - I have no idea what has gone wrong - anyone any ideas?  They have been started the same way as always in our mini greenhouses.  Am going to sew a new lot today and hope for better luck this time.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:45 »
Dig4victory, you have not put your location in your personal profile so we don't know where you live but assuming you live somewhere in the UK I would say that they are suffering from fluctuating temperatures and/or the cold.

Mini-greenhouses heat up and cool down much quicker than larger ones (or indoors, of course), and sweetcorn really are not good at standing up to that sort of treatment.

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:52 »
Home Counties, down South!
I think you are right JayG - thinking about it I probably bought them out into the normal air because the weather was looking so good then put them back at night etc....thanks for that - the next lot I'm sowing today can stay in the greenhouse.  That usually works for me - don't know why I changed it!

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 15:24 »
I just sowed my next lot of corn and emptied the old compost plugs into a bucket to reuse, and I sorted through each plug while dumping out - I noticed that most of the corn had a good root(s) growing but no sprout and some had neither - I wonder if I sowed them too deep......anyway, fingers crossed for this time.

Btw, the phone rang while I was planting so I went in and had a conversation leaving the corn just popped into the finger holes I had made - I came out to find pigeons had nicked the corn from the holes!!!!  Cheek  :dry:

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 15:42 »
Corn seed suppliers will be doing well by you this year, dig4victory  :D

As said, corn needs relatively stable temps, more to the warm side than anything as they are a hot weather crop like zucchini, cukes, aubergines, etc. Corn likes some moisture but not too much so it sounds like you've been a bit heavy on the watering as well. The loo rolls of late have a construction glue that is more prone to rot so watering lightly from below is the best method.

xx
Best Sweetcorn.... ?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 22, 2014, 18:38
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
sweetcorn

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 01, 2006, 20:49
by Judymac
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 16:23
by gypsy
xx
Sweetcorn help

Started by matron on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 02:39
by ditchdigger

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 38 queries.