Broody hen

• 7 Replies

Lynda_T

Broody hen
« on: May 11, 2010, 16:36 »
Ok heres the thing, my Brahma has gone broody, and ive been asked by another hen keeper who's hen wont sit on her eggs to make her a wee surrogae mum!? 
I dont have a clue about raising chicks and he says he will take the chicks once they have hatched, however how will this affect Helga?  Will she not want to be a mum proper and look after the chicks?  Second question is will it be ok for her to just sit on these eggs in the coup (converted shed) and at the mo im taking having to lift her out to get her to eat etc.  Ive no seperate place to put her.

Shes also stealing all the other girls eggs to sit on should i mark the eggs shes to hatch with a pencil? Or should i just say no??

HELP!!

Pretty Chick

Re: Broody hen
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 18:18 »
It's up to you if you want to let her hatch some eggs, but if you don't know anything about hatching eggs, you should definately do a bit of research.
If you decide to let her sit, I guess it will be okay to let her be in the coop. Take her out around twice a day for about 10 minuites. Be aware that when the chicks begin to hatch, the other hens could eat them, so make sure they are away from her then.
If you have absolutely nowhere for the other hens to go, maybe it's not a good idea to let her hatch eggs.
I certainly would mark the hatching eggs in pencil (not pen, for the ink may go through the egg shell and harm the chick).
Eggs take 21 days to hatch, give or take a couple.
I'm not sure how Helga would react if you take the chicks away from her, every hen is different.
All lives are precious.

Lynda_T

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 18:30 »
I have a converted shed in my garden that the girls use, i have 7 hens in total.  They all have the freedom of the garden.  The only other place i could put her would be in the garage which is attached to the house thru a utility room, but my OH isnt too happy about this lol.  However im not sure how i would pen an area off and im also not sure how she would be in there as she just gravitates towards the shed all the time!!

I really feel for her as shes been broody for 2 weeks now and at the mo i remove her two to three times a day to encourage her to drink and eat. But then if she has chicks how is she going to be when i give the chicks back to their owner?  Dont know what to do for the best?

How do they manage on big farms? are they also seperated or left to get on with their natural instinct?

TeaPots

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 21:51 »
some breeds are more broody than others. Some, like silkies, spend more than half their little lives wanting to be mummies. Others, like warrens, just havent got time for such laziness, there's worms to be found, and eggs to be laid.  If you do let her sit on these eggs, remember that it will mean a further 3 weeks she'll be sitting tight, andwhen the chicks are removed from her, she might go back to sitting, she might even hate you for a while for taking them, worse is if she gets off, or kills them, and you will feel bad and guilty  for your friend. If you do do it, it can really be lovely to be a part of, but give it lots of thought.

Lynda_T

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:49 »
Im really torn, i feel for her just now as shes pretty serious about sitting on everyone' elses eggs.  In a way id love to give her the opportunity to raise some chicks but then will the others or her kill them as u say?
I dont have a seperate run to put her in other than converting the garage into a make shift nursery for her  :)
Thanks for ur replies everyone i need as much info as i can ge before i make a decision....

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:14 »
IHow do they manage on big farms? are they also seperated or left to get on with their natural instinct?

Farms where they had hens and cockerels running round together like in the Darling Buds of May generally do not happen in this country now. Chicks are hatched in giant incubators and then sexed. If being raised for eggs the boys are usually gassed and then girls raised for the eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 16:51 »
There is quite a high chance that the other hens will kill the chicks during the hatching period. The broody hen isn't really likely to kill the chicks, but it does occasionally happen.

Lynda_T

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 19:03 »
Thanks ive decided not to....prob best all round.  Just have to continue to remove her out the coup etc 
Thanks again for u advice!

:)

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 37 queries.