bald throat-sick chick?

• 4 Replies

rags4bags

bald throat-sick chick?
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:33 »
Florence,a 1 yr old bantam has had a bald throat/neck for a couple of months or more now. I thought she was being picked on and bought some anti peck spray. She seems okay otherwise, but should i be doing anything else to help the feathers go back? no signs of that yet though-is she ill? Thanks in advance for any advice.

dizzylizzie

Re: bald throat-sick chick?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:51 »
Could she be moulting?
Another thought...my girls stick their heads through the chicken wire cos the 'grass is always greener'...are they doing that?

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:00 »
My first thought was moulting too but I wonder if two months is a bit long for that. Can you see any little spikes coming through which would be new feathers?

My neighbour has recommended poultry spice to me as a supplement to give hens while they are moulting. I have been trying it with mine. It is very smelly and I am not sure how often to give it to them?

Bev

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:32 »
I think poultry spice has a lovely smell!  I sprinkle a teaspoon about once a week when feathers are needed, though as with a lot of these supplements, I'm not convinced it makes any difference!

Throats can look balder than they really are because skin gets stretched when the crop is full.  

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 13:11 »
mmm, im with Flowerpower on this one, we both had poultry spice when we got our ex-batts and i havent noticed a difference so now i dont use it....i miss the lovely smell though. As regards getting new feathers, some can take an age to replace feathers.....as long as she is healthy, you are sure no-one is pecking them out/bullying and she has no crawlies i wouldnt worry too much as both flowerpower and myself have had chickens that took a while to get through a moult :D

xx
Sick Chick

Started by heifer on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 22:49
by Danielle280
xx
Please help - Sick chick

Started by TanyaGibson on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 11:44
by ehs284
xx
Sick Chick

Started by bettyboo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:08
by bettyboo
xx
Sick Chick

Started by chickenlittle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 01:11
by chickenlittle

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.