Wilting asparagus problem

• 1 Replies

gunnag

Wilting asparagus problem
« on: May 09, 2010, 15:07 »
I planted 50 ginjlim asparagus crowns in my allotment 2 years ago. Last year I took a small crop and this year I have taken more. I have noticed that some of the spears, maybe 10% have died off shortly after appearing. These bad spears seem to be pale in appearance, bent over and have a kind of wilted appearance. Anyone know what could be causing this? I can only think its either the cold weather (possibly frost?) or maybe slugs (I have put slug pellets and wood chip mulch around). All info welcome.

Goosegirl

Re: Wilting asparagus problem
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 15:42 »
Ah - me too! This is my first year of growing asparagus. I planted them last year and they ferned up; then this year, I think it was the first one showing that stayed bent over and then did nothing. I thought I saw a brown mark at the bottom of the stem but that wasn't necessarily slug or snail damage. It has been a funny spring and lots of cold winds too. I have erected a piece of horizontal cleamtis netting about a foot over the spears and will put another one about 3 foot above so that the spears/ferns aren't broken by the winds as we live in an exposed situation; but the bed is protected by pallets to about 3 foot on three sides.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

question
Asparagus Beetle Problem

Started by vjt on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 21:29
by Hampshire Hog
clip
Wilting, curling ... sad anyway

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 15:59
by pigguns
xx
Wilting garlic

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 23:12
by pedro
exclamation
Seedlings wilting ! Please Help

Started by azk404 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2020, 13:01
by azk404

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 36 queries.