Which veg prefer hard ground, and which prefer soft ?

• 10 Replies

trogg

I haven't done my homework  :(  I've made all my raised beds light and fluffy, thinking that all vegetables would grow easily in soft soil.
A few weeks ago I was talking to a chap down the allotments who told me that he 'staked' all of his brussels  sprouts because if it got too windy they would 'panic' and turn to flower rather than spouts, he also said the soil needed to be "rock hard" to stop this happening .....
as he walked away I was thinking, 'cuckoo cuckoo'  ::)  anyway it turns out he's right  :wub:

So yesterday I spent the day walking all over the brassicas beds, undoing all that hard work I put in  :(  although the beds are now 4inch lower, it still feels like walking on a blancmange.
And now I've found out my onions should of been planted in hard soil  >:( so what else ?
I've only got a few peas, onions, beetroot, swede, radish  and half a dozen lettuces growing at the moment.
boing boing

gsc

• Experienced Member
Re: Which veg prefer hard ground, and which prefer soft ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:43 »
Lol - I will take note.  I'm rather late but just bstarting my raised beds now.

Good luck.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 09:04 »
I am not a brassica expert but can understand the logic of super-firm soil for them, but all plants need reasonably firm soil to support them and prevent excessively quick drying out.

If your soil really is light and fluffy I presume it contains a high proportion of organic material and will settle itself down eventually, but if you are planting out anytime soon I suggest you at least tamp down the area with the back of a rake, preferably when the soil is moist.

(Light and fluffy is for Victoria sponges!  :) )
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

trogg

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:39 »
Right, I'm off down the allotment now, going to make my beds like a sticky toffee pudding  :D

Starting to feel hungry for some reason  :blink:

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:29 »
Most of my beds are also light and fluffy, and I've been wondering how I'm going to grow brassicas, (knowing that they need firm soil). The ones that have been walked on need weeding, so even those are going to be light and fluffy too, before I plant anything in them.  ???
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:44 »
if you just hoe the weeds off this will only loosen the top inch or so, the bit underneath should still be firm :)

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:03 »
I'll give that a try, but judging by it's neighbour, that I've already weeded, the compaction only goes down a few inches Still, a firm surface with loose underneath has got to be better than loose all the way.  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:35 »
I don't dig / cultivate my Brassica bed [after the previous year's Beans have finished], I just spread some manure on the top in the Autumn.  I still have to trample it down a bit in the Spring - and that's a clay soil

I wonder if staking Brussels Sprouts helps - stop them rocking about in the wind to compensate for not having rock-hard soil?

Do other Brassicas mind looser soil? I only take extra trouble for my Brussels Sprouts

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 11:58 »
I'm no brassica expert either, but my dad tells me that for all brassicas the firmer the soil, the tighter, firmer and better the heads will be.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 13:05 »
The soil needs to be very firm to stop wind rock which damages the minute feeding hairs on the root. Hence, small heads/blown sprouts etc.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 14:24 »
Never knew that - thanks Pompey Spud   

xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli ~ which do you prefer?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 00:18
by Salmo
xx
is porcelain garlic soft or hard

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 17:45
by Wildeone
xx
Garlic - hard neck versus soft neck

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2015, 09:04
by Snoop
xx
Hard manure...

Started by Cavolo Nero on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 11:32
by Cavolo Nero

Page created in 0.815 seconds with 38 queries.