Ill chook

• 20 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Ill chook
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 11:49 »
Re reading your post the early problem may have been Coryza as the onset was sudden and the smell is a give away but the latest maybe MG as it's taken some weeks to show.  Coryza is often complicated with MG so this is entirely possible.  Just check you don't have a local wild bird source such as an unusually large number of wild birds from a  rookery, or pigeons or pheasants.  Don't leave drinkers or feeders exposed keep covered in a caged off run if you suspect a wild bird problem.

Note you can use Vanodine (at the recommended concentration given on the bottle) in the drinking water to prevent cross infection.

HF
Truth through science.

koo

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 20:56 »
Thank you all for your advice and help. It sounds very likely that that has happened hillfooter as only the first hen was smelly and all the others have just had wheezing, wet beaks and eye bubbles. Thank you all so much for taking the time to post your advice, its all been so helpful  :)

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 23:40 »
Hello!! I had similar about a month or so after I first got mine.....a little warren!! I didn't separate them as they had been living closely and I didn't really have the facilities at the time....anyway I rang the vet (ON A SUNDAY??!!?) and was simply advised to bathe the bubbly eye with clean cotton wool and plain cold water and to observe. Plus I threw in some garlic with their water. I think it must have been a stress thing affecting the immune system??? None of the others had bubbly eyes, but they were all wheezing and sneezing, but it cleared up within a couple of days at the most. I'd written them all off though!!  :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 08:36 »
Redmolly, if my vet advised that i would be changing my vet!! This is a classic example of vets not knowing enough/cant be bothered with treating out girls. We pay for the treatment, we need to demand better services from the vets.

hillfooter

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 09:41 »
Redmolly, if my vet advised that i would be changing my vet!! This is a classic example of vets not knowing enough/cant be bothered with treating out girls. We pay for the treatment, we need to demand better services from the vets.

Here here Lizzie!  What crass advice must have been the trainee on call on a Sunday.  

MG has many forms from mild to severe and stress can enduce an outbreak in a dormant condition which none the less can be serious and not to be taken lightly.  Ongoing management is needed even when the visible symptoms disappear and a half responsible vet should have advised yoiu.  MG is vertically transmitted from parent to chick via the egg and carriers should not be breed from.

MG itself is not particularly serious and rarely causes death however it is usually complicated with several other infections most frequently Escherichia coli to provoke chronic respiratory disease (CRD).  In this case it looks like this was a mild infection which wasn't complicated.

The following is a quote from the Poultry Diseases Network,

"MG may remain dormant and cause no disease until the chicken undergoes some stress, so the MG itself is not a killer, in fact, even morbidity is not great. However, an outbreak may be followed quickly by many secondary infections, and it is these that do the damage (5)."

If you are of a medical bent the complete article is worth a read.
http://www.poultrydiseases.net/online/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=26

HF
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:45 by hillfooter »

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 10:01 »
Well they said I could take her down if I got realy worried about her, but I didn't particularly want to stress her out with a car ride. Actually her face was swollen too and it went down pretty quick after her eyes had a rinse out.
Have spoke to my neighbour about it since - he's had chooks for centuries!! He said, initially he would have done the same.
Anyway - I consult him and all his poultry mates first these days!!  :D

It was also a touch of early days panic for me too!!  :wacko:

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Ill chook :-(

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 13:39
by ANHBUC
xx
Chook run

Started by denbo73 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 17:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
Ill Chook

Started by little brown hen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 15, 2011, 16:00
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 37 queries.