BEANS TOMS SANDWICH

• 15 Replies

duncan

BEANS TOMS SANDWICH
« on: June 11, 2007, 13:00 »
quick  question

RUNNER BEANS   FRENCH  BEANS  DWARF  BEANS

are not doing so well this year they are very slow  and look weak i know other gardeners around here with the same problems in  DONCASTER
 but the broad beans are doing  GREAT ..the green greenhouse is full of toms and cucumbers gonna be loaded this year having to water morning and night with this weather  sometimes hitting the 100f (heat) in the greenhouse and 80f with the doors open till late at night .. so not be long before  toms cucumber lettuce  cress  mustard cress  sandwich ...hehe
growing big onions  leeks parsnips carrots ..

WG.

Re: BEANS TOMS SANDWICH
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 13:19 »
Quote from: "duncan"
quick  question
Errrm ... you didn't actually ask a question??  Good to hear of progress though

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 13:20 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
quick  question
Errrm ... you didn't actually ask a question??  Good to hear of progress though

Bless him WG....he's excited! ;)

duncan

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 15:19 »
quick  question

are not doing so well this year they are very slow  and look weak i know other gardeners around here with the same problems in  DONCASTER
 but the broad beans are doing  GREAT ..the green greenhouse is full of toms and cucumbers gonna be loaded this year having to water morning and night with this weather  sometimes hitting the 100f (heat) in the greenhouse and 80f with the doors open till late at night .. so not be long before  toms cucumber lettuce  cress  mustard cress  sandwich ...hehe

the question  dr holmes is  hows beans doing in the rest of the country

thats  the question  watson

diggerjoe

BEANS TOMS SANDWICH
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 15:42 »
funny that bout the beans - mine in the lottie started well enough but we had a cold spell and it seems to have set them back - now mine are are looking a bit yellowish lottie next door has beans that look ok - could it be that my beans are in ground that has been grass for two years - i dug trenches and put in loads of stuff before planting, its just a shame to see them struggling should i perk them up with something :?:

duncan

BEANS TOMS SANDWICH
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 15:49 »
Quote from: "diggerjoe"
funny that bout the beans - mine in the lottie started well enough but we had a cold spell and it seems to have set them back - now mine are are looking a bit yellowish lottie next door has beans that look ok - could it be that my beans are in ground that has been grass for two years - i dug trenches and put in loads of stuff before planting, its just a shame to see them struggling should i perk them up with something :?:

cant really answer your question there

but we are  having the  same problem here  there is plenty of manure on the garden from last year but the beans are not strong at all this year and there the same in a lot of the gardens here..and we have all used different seeds

are we gonna have a bad year for BEANS.. ermmmmm   intresting

frazzy

BEANS TOMS SANDWICH
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 15:50 »
mine were  growing slowly until my arch enemy mrs rabbit  ate them all down to the stubbs. never mind i,m glad  my hubby has an allotment too. his are growing well. its quite grey here at the moment we are in need of some sunshine .
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

duncan

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 16:05 »
quick  question

very  hot here its been 100f  in greenhouse with the door open today..
and still hot now at 4.05 will have to wait until about 7.30 to water garden here .......

yummy

BEANS TOMS SANDWICH
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 17:44 »
First lot of runners didn't germinate. Next two lots died as soon as planted out (late May). Fingers crossed I'm doing ok now with another two lots of runners looking good and 95% germination of my dwarf borlotto's . This past week I've hadp eas/mangetout germinate in just three days.

tinshed

beans progress
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 18:57 »
My Dear Watson, my dwarf and climbing french beans and runners are all doing much better than last year in Swindon, on the edge of Mangelwurzeland.  I put this down to last Autumns manuring but also to a helpful combination of rain and sun at the right times.

Great difficulty in germinating salady things last month (cold) but now they shoot out of the ground - warm, wet soil, I think.

Annie

BEANS TOMS SANDWICH
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 23:44 »
I`m only just putting my french beans out but they`re racing up the poles.

crowndale

BEANS TOMS SANDWICH
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 08:05 »
I have dwarf beans, first year I've grown beans at all.  every single seed germinated so had a huge glut of bean plants.  They are growing quite slowly and are currently about 8 inches high but its been very dry.  That said I am digging out a new path at the moment and the subsoil/clay underneath teh topsoil is still quite wet so I guess they'll be fine in the dry.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

duncan

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 12:46 »
quick  question

the question  dr holmes is  hows beans doing in the rest of the country

thats  the question  watson

yes very strange this year with the beans there are  very easy crop to grow maybe its the weather !"!!! this year.....ive been and visited 4 _5 gardens and there having the same problems very stringy plants with very few flowers.....one of the lads as sent for some more beans to plant see if its the seed we are useing ....but we are all useing different  seeds bought from diffrent places i was looking at the dwarft beans and there just as bad !!! i grow them up a fence about 50ft in length .  the whole fence should be a mass of green red flowers at this time..even the leaves are small on the plants too............but broad beans are booming ..... :roll:

WG.

BEANS TOMS SANDWICH
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 12:52 »
It is elementary, my dear Watson ... May was cold and wet.

hammers07

runners doing well
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 13:26 »
runner beans doing really well in stourbridge,west mids
dwarf beans only just come through in one bed - not through at all in other
A slug is for life not just for the allotment

xx
Space use after spuds ... toms or french beans?

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 12:31
by plum crumble
xx
enorma runner beans, marketmore cucs & toms

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 22:09
by mashbintater
xx
first time growing dwarf beans and safe temps for toms

Started by auntyfifi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 16:12
by auntyfifi
xx
Cardboard and manure sandwich.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 14, 2021, 08:50
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 38 queries.