And we're off!!

• 6 Replies

uba

• Experienced Member
And we're off!!
« on: May 06, 2010, 23:45 »
Hi all,

We have our chooks!!

Faced with 25 quid approx per bird for PoL ladies( My wife and I decided on around four hens ) we made the decision to buy a heat lamp/ large indoor rabbit type cage and five young chicks for a fair bit less than PoL would have cost us.

They have been here for four days now and seem to be settling in nicely in the kitchen and we are really enjoing it already hehe :) We have one gold laced, one white, two black and one chocolate all bantam Orpington hens from Sandy at Wickenby.

My wife loves having them here and is just as excited as I am even though its been me pestering her for the last few years for some chickens :) And our fifteen month old boy Oli loves going to see them when he is on his kitchen section of the ground floor toddler racetrack!! He even says 'hello' to them.

I am getting the chicken house assembled and painted this week and some fencing off done at the bottom of the garden this weekend in readiness, so its all going well atm, I have some questions but I will search a bit through the pages here first as I have found answers to most things from previous new starters posts.

Good times !!

Nige
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:21 by noshed »
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: And were off!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 00:01 »
£25??  were they gold plated Nige??  Mind you, saying tht, the other day after I left the hairdresser, I popped in to see a young man who wanted some chooks from me last year, but he hadn't been well. 

Thought I'd see how he was and whether he'd bought his coop yet.  He was in, and still not 100%, but he also had 2 hens up the garden.  He couldn't wait for mine to grow up, so he bought these 2 off the bloke up the road from me.

One looks like a black rock, the other one looks like a Goldline (Bovans Brown!) but she is much smaller, so I don't think she is point of lay yet.  How much did he rush you for these then?  I asked.  £20 each he replied.  then I looked at the 'Goldline's' feet.  She's got feathery feet!  So goodness knows what her parents were.  But she's defo part Goldline!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:12 »
and knowing where he got these feathered feet hens from probably part French Maran in there as well  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:32 »
congratulations on your new arrivals, looking forward to piccys.    £10 - £15 seems to be the going rate for a hybrid here.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

uba

• Experienced Member
Re: And we're off!!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:09 »
These were a fiver each at around two weeks old bought on aggreement that any that turn out to be cocks can be exchanged but fingers crossed they will be all girls :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 14:18 »
Oh that's much better!   :D

cheriton

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 14:49 »
You are going to enjoy it so much, after a tentative start I am in a good routine now . I got 3 younger POL hens 5 weeks ago tomorrow aged 18/19 weeks and the Spice girls are thriving - giving me my first egg yesterday :).

I would have loved young chicks but I am worried about ending up with cockerals living in a built up area.

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 37 queries.