cockerel Fighting ( I think)

• 5 Replies

Tania

cockerel Fighting ( I think)
« on: May 06, 2010, 16:24 »
Earlier this week, I received a Buff Orpington cockerel much to the annoyance of one of my Polish boys. For the first 24 hours, the Polish periodically chased Beau and although Beau didn't retaliate, on a couple of occasions I did shoo the Polish off. Since then, nothing of any great significance. I let them out this morning and everything was fine. I've just gone out this afternoon and to my horror, my Polish looks like he has a raw  tomato on top of his head. All his head feathers are gone and it clearly has been bleeding ( although is dry now). There are no marks on any of my other birds but Beau has gained a pinky red bib and I'm guessing this is dried blood and he has sought his revenge.
The Polish is rather sheepish and quiet ( not surprisingly) but still is happy to crow when I picked him up. I've separated them for now but am not sure how to re-introduce them.
 :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: cockerel Fighting ( I think)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 16:45 »
Unfortunately this is what cockerels do (hence cock fighting), my 2 large fowl boys will fight but luckily I have a very big garden so they can keep out of each others way, but woe be tide the old one if the young one sees him treading a girl that he wants. My cockerels have their own pecking order with sweet Gene Vincent being the top boy and Buddy Holly my sablepoot being at the bottom.
Staffies are softer than you think.

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 18:13 »
As a Poland owner, I 'm sure you already know about the particularly vulnerable 'soft' spot on their heads. so I would not put a bigger cockerel in with polands...and an orpie might accidentally KILL a poland hen trying to tread  :(

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 18:33 »
Hey Tania, Sorry to hear Beau, is asserting his presence, he was in with another cockerel, so its not as if he isn't used to male company, but he did grow up with Paxo, so that will probably be why he is fighting with your polish, as he isn't used to him.
Keep me posted
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Tania

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 18:50 »
Hi Donna,
I think Beau has just retaliated having been chased round the garden. I'm going to keep them apart for a while and then gradually reintroduce them under supervision!

Tania

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 21:16 »
Oh no,
I've had another squabble tonight. Beau and my Silkie boy have now had words although this time the Silkie has fought back. I now have 3 injured boys. Remarkably though, they've put themselves to bed all together!! I'm not sure whether to leave them overnight or separate them again!

xx
Cockerel fighting wounds - how to treat him?

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 23:58
by nnbreeder
xx
fighting

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 16:53
by gailtearle
xx
fighting !!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 13:29
by hotterotter
xx
fighting

Started by bramford on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 07:24
by bramford

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 29 queries.