Chicks - what next?

• 7 Replies

pandora

Chicks - what next?
« on: May 06, 2010, 09:21 »
I hatched out chicks in an incubator 4 weeks ago. Normally I leave the broody to do all the hard work, but neither of my Silkies would perform this year. Hence the incubator. I have been progressively raising the heat light off them, and they are growing at a rate and starting to feather up nicely. I know in the past my broodies have been out and about during the day with their chicks from a very young age - but with incubator raised chicks at what point would you put them outside during the day, and at what point would you take the lamp off them, full stop? I am a bit precious with this lot, as I have done all the work and if one of them dies it will be entirely my fault, whereas with a broody I have to leave it to nature (and nature usually works very well!)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicks - what next?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:46 »
hopefully somebody who uses an incubator will be along soon to help you, like you I use broodies where the chicks can snuggle up under her if they get cool. Grannie Annie has 6 chicks that she has hatched for me in her broody shed so I am waiting until she says they will be ok before I collect them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54 »
I bought my chicks as day olds and they went outside off heat at 33 days.

However they are fully feathered (no fluff left).

lisa80

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:45 »
I normally put mine out between 5 and 6 weeks  :)they need to be fully feathered .The nights have started to get cold again but as long as they have somewhere warm to snuggle together they should be ok :)

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:15 »
I'm paranoid about losing my incubated chicks as they don't have mum to protect them.  I generally wean mine off heat by 6 weeks (later over the winter, earlier in the summer if it's warm enough) and as long as they are feathered and eating growers pellets I put them outside soon after that.  I have had some of my bantam chicks taken by the crows so I like them to be big enough not to be crow-lunch, as well as able to deal with the lovely British summer weather (i.e. rain!)

Some breeds feather up earlier than others so that might also affect your decision.

Sarah  :)
Mad chicken woman

pandora

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 14:18 »
Thanks everyone. I'll keep raising the lamp a bit more before I take it away completely then. I just did my midday check on them, and it is freezing out there. They definitely still need a bit of extra warmth!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 16:23 »
Mine are 3 weeks now and I've started putting them out into a secure run for an hour a day when the weather's warm. They have been loving the experience and it's given the other girls a chance to see and hear them. I will gradually increase the time they spend out over the next couple of weeks but still bring them in when it cools in the evenings.

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 18:35 »
Mine are about 3-4 weeks old now, just taken them off the heat but they are still indoors, as they still have fluffy bits on them. another week or so before i move them outside
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 32 queries.