Celery Question please help

• 11 Replies

big matt

Celery Question please help
« on: May 05, 2010, 19:12 »
I've bought some golden self blanching celery plants at the weekend. Never grown it before so I have loads of questions and a search of the internet just makes me coffused.com::)
First of all as it is self blanching is there any need to bank them up am I right? If I don't have to bank them up what keeps them from spreading open when they grow?
As it says I have to grow them in a sheltered are can I cut the top and bottom off a 2lt coke bottle and sheild them that way?
Any other advice will be much appreciated
Big Matt
Big Fat Fisherman with a Liking for Fresh Veg

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
Re: Celery Question please help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 20:30 »
I grew the self-blanching celery last year. I planted them in a block quite close together so they blanch each other. I tried wrapping  each pf them in glossy newspaper, tied with string, but this just created a haven for the slugs inside. I also put straw around the edge of the block. They weren't any good for anything but soup but this was mainly because they need a huge amount of water. Have got lots of seedlings to try again. I might try something in the ground underneath to help retain moisture, not sure what though.
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 20:33 »
I thought you grew them in a block, about 8 -10 inches apart to keep as much light as possible off the stems.

It is not really the same as 'proper' celery -- I don' think it is a crispy crunchy to eat  :unsure: :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 21:09 »
You are supposed to grow in a block to blanch them more.  OH doesn't mind them a bit green though so I don't bother.  He reckons they are crisp and crunchy as supermarket ones, don't eat it myself yuk! so can't say, but his sisters also thought it was crisp and crunchy just the same.  The variety I grew was Galaxy Lathom and Tango.  Been diong these for three years.

You don't bank them up and if you are comparing with the supermarket ones then you get loads more sticks on each plant, well I did anyway, there fore the ones inside are fairly close together.  I can't really say mine did spread open much.  Mine aren't sheltered either but are in a high rise bed.  Grew them indoors first then transplanted.  But haven't transplanted them yet as still a bit cold.  Having said that as an experiment I have three outside in the bed with bottles over them to keep warmer, they looked a bit sick but those ones were quite small when I put them out.  Like just two inches high.

PS didn't bother with correct distances either they were about 5 inches apart.  They need lots of water as apparently I read they are a bog plant.  Of course this time of year I  don't water them as much.  They are grown in the garden so easy to keep watered.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 21:12 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 21:11 »
I might have a go at these next year -- on the list of things to think about next winter  :lol:

andy135

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 21:14 »
Apparently they need lots of manure under them.  :)

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 21:46 »
I might have a go at these next year -- on the list of things to think about next winter  :lol:
Watch how you sow the seed I always do too many, even though try to sow just a few.  Sometimes they can take a while to germinate as well.

Elcie

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 21:56 »
I might have a go at these next year -- on the list of things to think about next winter  :lol:
Watch how you sow the seed I always do too many, even though try to sow just a few.  Sometimes they can take a while to germinate as well.

I agree!  First time growing this year, really just want them so that I can make a whole soup with homegrown ingredients.  Mine are very slow to grow they are tiny pinpricks at the moment despite me sowing them about 5 weeks ago!  One of my allotment neighbours gave me some celeriac.  What is the difference between this and celery?

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 22:48 »
I grew self blanching last year and found they were OK when young but got very tough and stringy as they got older/bigger. I didn't waste any though....chop it and put it through the blender and it makes a great addition to soups. I still have some frozen in little coleslaw tubs which is just the right amount to flavour a pot of soup.

Block planted mine about 9 inches apart.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 22:52 »
Pack the outer perimeter of the block with straw to keep the light out. 

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:00 »
Few people realize that celery is pretty much a bog plant, and if you want those juicy stalks to eat, they'll need lots and lots of water to pump up the cells.

Celery is a stalk plant while celeriac is an edible, if very ugly, root, which is grated into salads and such. It has the celery flavour without the handles.

big matt

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 15:23 »
Thanks every one for the help and taking the time to reply :)
Big Matt

xx
celery question

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 09:20
by Clover
xx
Another celery question

Started by Dr_Pepper on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 12:59
by Dr_Pepper
xx
self blanching celery question

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 15:58
by gobs
xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow

Page created in 0.789 seconds with 36 queries.