Potato frost damage...

• 11 Replies

dead eye dave

Potato frost damage...
« on: May 05, 2010, 00:14 »
Hi
My first earlies (epicures) that have been starting to show over the last few days were caught in an unexpected frost the other night (well, I missed it coming, forgot to keep an eye on the forecast) ans some of the leaves have turned black, whil eon most of the shoots therr appear to be green leaves below the black ones.

I know there have ben posts on this recently but cant seem to find them so was wondering if anyone has advice on how to proceed. I seem to remeber someone suggesting that they were now ruined, but am not sure if this is true or not.

Have protected them now (cloche, fleece) and will keep an eye on the weather daily, but any advice greatfully received......
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 23:17 by Ice »

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato frost damage...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 00:32 »
Don't worry too much, they will recover, another week and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

fastmonkey85

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:59 »
don't worry too much they shall bouncy back and you will wonder what you were worrying about

bigben

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:33 »
I am growing about 4 types in pots and a week or so ago they got frosted - one type went black but the others were unaffected - those that went black are recovering now but are a little smaller than the others.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:07 »
frost got mine as well id waited ages for them to come through then they emerge the day i never went down and get frosted.

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 22:55 »
Some of mine got frosted about 10 days ago. Some badly blackened leaves but they've all recovered and are now looking very healthy. You only really have a problem if the tubers themselves get frosted.

Bolthardy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 21:48 »
Hard frost Monday night caught the tops of my potatoes (about 2 inches showing). Despite spraying with cold water the next morning before the sun got on them they've blackened and are starting to rot off. Do I cut the frost bitten bits out or leave the plants to grow on?
Moral! Never be complacent about frost. It was forecast on the local TV but I was sitting in front of the fire at the time with a glass of wine and assumed it would be someone else's problem.

dead eye dave

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 07:16 »
Thanks for the replies and advice; its been hitting 0 degrees and perhaps minus figures here for the past few nights, every night, and have been protecting my plants with fleece which has helped a lot. The plants have recovered from their forst damage very quickly and all the damaged ones are now showing new leaves and pushing up like nothing happened......a valuable lesson learner for the first timer......thanks again everyone......hope it warms up soon as I cant keep running up and down to the veg patch, but as I live in Scotland, I know it wont last long....onwards and upwards.....!!!

rikknikk

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 07:37 »
I checked some of mine yesterday and they have gone to mush so I have dug then up, is it too late to replant a new lot, and if so are they likley to still be in shops or is there a good online site to order from?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 09:54 »
I managed to get some well chitted ones  ::)  on wednesday in Wilkos, and there were still some in my local garden centre yesterday, and they were less well chitted  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 11:05 »
Tips of mine got frosted about a week ago although I didn't see any frost warning for us here. They looked better this last few days but I earthed them up - good job as we are forecasted some ground frost this week.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

dead eye dave

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 13:31 »
I seen that Homebase were selling their seed potatoes cheap yesterday; they didnt look too hot, ie very long sprouts, but you might get some that are still in goos shape. I would try again, never too late to try NikkRikk

xx
Do potato plants recover from frost damage

Started by rubberfrog on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 05:49
by DD.
xx
Frost damage!

Started by Penny Finn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 09:58
by flitwickone
xx
Frost damage

Started by Gillian tillian on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 18:52
by DD.
xx
Frost damage

Started by BNN on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 16:35
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 37 queries.