Feeding Blueberries

• 10 Replies

JohnB47

Feeding Blueberries
« on: May 04, 2010, 20:00 »
Hi.

I have two blueberry plants in 3 litre pots - fairly mature and absolutely covered in blossom. I hope to get them planted in the allotment soon but I'm wondering how much to feed them while in the pots (and afterwards in the allotment).

My books say feed with acid loving plant food (once) in Spring but with the potential for so many blueberries, I'm wondering if I should feed more often. I've bought the required type of food - in a powder form that you sprinkle over the base of the plants and I've given them one dose of that. Is that all that's needed? (When I plant them out I'll give them another dose of feed). If these were tomatoes, I'd start now to feed weekly.

Ta.

Trillium

Re: Feeding Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 20:17 »
Keep adding the acidic food to help keep the soil where blueberries like it - sour. But also add a yearly application of rotted manure as a sort of mulch. Chicken manure is more acidic so that would be best, but any manure will do. Most of all, keep the blueberries regularly moist as they come from boggy conditions.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 20:22 »
I use rhododendron fertiliser for mine, in February and then mulch them in the Autumn, when the soil is really wet

My daughter has an upside down bottomless plastic bottle planted aongside her bushes as this helps the water get down through the mulch into the soil, and the mulch helps reduce evaporation from the surface  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 22:47 »
Thanks to both of you but your suggestions are different.  :( One says keep adding the acidic food, the other says just one application in February.

I know this gardening lark isn't a exact science but which routine should I follow? Or does it not matter (would overfeeding not be a problem)?

Also thanks about the watering and mulching tips.

Cheers.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 23:07 »
The most important thing is to grow them in the right sort of soil; it must be acidic (about pH4.5), well drained because they don't like to be waterlogged, but they also need to be kept moist (this is where the compost mulch helps.)

I don't think Trillium and Sunshineband are really giving conflicting advice; Trillium is emphasising the need to keep the soil acidic and Sunshineband is suggesting a sensible feeding regime which will also do the same.

My blueberries are out in the garden and the soil is not ideal but they have done very well since they became established (a couple of years). Birds are another issue ( :mad:) but not that difficult to deal with (netting)!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:11 »
Thanks JayG.

All good stuff.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 15:21 »
Didn't mean to confuse you, John, but I meant to say add a feeding of fertilizer every year not several times a year. Blueberries don't really need a lot of feeding but to get tastier berries the manure part makes a huge difference. Rhododendron food is acidic and will do just as well but not everyone can get hold of it. Rhodos don't do well in my area so I have a hard time finding rhodo feed in my shops.

starry

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 16:59 »
Alys (from gardeners world) recommends top dressing with pine needles to keep up the acid the soil ??
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 19:12 »
Yes I saw that too -- might be difficult to get hold of for some

me for starters  ;)

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 19:37 »
I have 2 blueberry bushes planted in bloom at the moment. But if i brush past them they seem to be falling off really easy. Is this normal or is there a problem I should be tackling.

Many thanks John.
Woooooooooooooo

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 22:02 »
The leaves or blossoms should not fall off so easily. Stick your finger into the soil up to the top knuckle to see if it's moist in the soil. If not, give it a good slow watering that goes deep.

As for the pine needles, it's all well and wonderful to acidify the soil but blueberries really don't need it that sour. They'll grow in almost anything short of chalky soil as long as they get adequate manure, feed and water.

xx
Feeding Blueberries

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2015, 08:17
by Christine
xx
Feeding blueberries

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 16:30
by wighty
xx
Feeding blueberries

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2019, 08:29
by sunshineband
xx
Best regime for feeding Blueberries in containers

4 Replies
Last post September 05, 2018, 07:00
by Growster...

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 37 queries.