Frost?

• 11 Replies

dougsta

• Experienced Member
Frost?
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:54 »
Anyone get a frost last night?
We had a frost last night in South Oxfordshire
Good job I put fleece over my tatties - haven't been up to check yet and hopefully it didn't blow off so they will be OK.

My closest weather station showed minus 2 last night  :ohmy:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/benson_latest_temp_graphs.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:09 by dougsta »
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

madcat

Re: Frost?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:38 »
Caught it in north Oxfordshire too!  Thankfully, OH finished the earthing up yesterday and the lids were down on the cold frames.  Potatoes on next door plot didn't look well ....  :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:53 »
Ooh how odd, we didn't get any.  I'm never quite sure if I'm North or South, I think I'm East!
Penny
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Debz

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 13:00 »
We got a hard frost on Saturday night.  Thankfully there didn't appear to be any damage.  I think my pots of potatoes were sheltered

markp76

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 13:18 »
The shed roof was white over at 6.00 this morning!

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 13:19 »
Frost here last night too, I was out at 9pm covering everything with fleece (it was already 1.5C  :ohmy:).

Thankfully no spuds are up yet and I've checked this morning and everything seems to be ok. Warmer nights forecast now, so hopefully that's the last of the mad dash panic fleecing.
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 14:24 »
Frost here too,  earthed up my spuds yesterday - pheww  :D

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 14:28 »
Don't think we got a frost here last night (North STaffs) but didn't take any chances and covered my pots up with a thick sheet as they are in containers. I have noticed one plant is slightly yellow coloured in the middle and has been for a few days - would that have been caused by a cold night last week when they weren't covered?

starry

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 16:28 »
we had a slight frost only knew because the shed roof was sparkling didnt cover anything!! :ohmy: but all my tender summer bedding was out and is ok so hope the allotment is to?? all those seedlings!!!!!!!!   :unsure:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 20:38 by starry »
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

madcat

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 16:42 »
Don't think we got a frost here last night (North STaffs) but didn't take any chances and covered my pots up with a thick sheet as they are in containers. I have noticed one plant is slightly yellow coloured in the middle and has been for a few days - would that have been caused by a cold night last week when they weren't covered?

If it was frosted it would be a bit bleuch, a bit limp & maybe darker coloured.  The yellow could indicate pot bound and not enough nitrogen???

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 17:57 »

If it was frosted it would be a bit bleuch, a bit limp & maybe darker coloured.  The yellow could indicate pot bound and not enough nitrogen???

Hmm, the potatoes are in a large potato bag which was provided with the potatoes. There are only three potatoes in each bag and none of the others are yellowing in the middle. I used new potting compost too and have earthed up with compost each time.

Just off to cover them up now as frost is forecast for tonight, and I am out to work shortly. Will keep an eye on them.

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 18:18 »
 Well I have earthed up my spuds three times now, so they are well established. If we have a frost then so be it but Im not gona panic too much. tatties are tough customers.
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

xx
First Frost

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 24, 2015, 16:50
by Yorkie
xx
Last frost?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 23:14
by woodburner
xx
The Frost!

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 00:15
by Paul Plots
xx
Frost!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 07:21
by Sven The Swede

Page created in 1.27 seconds with 37 queries.