Mycorrhiza

• 3 Replies

TurfSmurf

Mycorrhiza
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:08 »
Can anyone tell me something about microriser, what are the pros & cons ???
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 19:45 by Ice »

savbo

Re: Microriser
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 14:01 »
sorry to be pedantic but it's mycorrhiza - which is myco=fungus rrhiza=root. Would just help if googling!

Natural mycorrhizal associations (between fungi and plants) seem increasingly to be thought to be be the norm rather than the exception - that is, most plants have them helping to get nutrients from soil into the plants. But when we cultivate we are putting plants into soil without this beneficial relationship. SO putting the mycorrhizal fungi into the soil seems a good idea. In terms of cons, I can't really think of any except the cost and that maybe they won't work that well...

M

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 14:54 »
I've used the stuff for years and won't garden without it. It's a natural fungus (so, totally organic) which is added to the planting hole so that the plant roots directly touch it before you fill the hole. The fungus encourages lots of small feeder roots to develop, which overall boosts plant health and size. I can always tell which plants I've missed adding a small handful of the brown powder when I planted them as they're not nearly as large. You can never overdo the use of mycorrhizal as it's not a chemical or raw form of anything.

And yes, it is pricey stuff so I always scout all my local garden centres in fall for their clearances on it. Theoretically the fungus dies at the end of that year, but I've never found it to be so. I have a big container that's 3 years old and it's still giving me great plants. There are different forms of the fungus as well, ones dedicated to bulbs, to veg, to shrubs and to flowers. They vary slightly in particle size and fungus, but in a pinch I've used any of them for other purposes and they work.

TurfSmurf

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 19:41 »
Many thanks, I had only heard the term and wrote it as it sounded, I'll try to listen much more carefully next time I hear a word/name that I don't recognise. 
The information given was exactly what I wanted so very many thanks to the learned ones that supplied it

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 35 queries.