Where to plant Asparagus?

• 5 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Where to plant Asparagus?
« on: May 03, 2010, 17:11 »
I have been given a bag of Wilkos asparagus.

I want to get it in the earth ASAP but I know it will need a permanent home so where is the best place to put it and how much space should I give it?

I was thinking about the end of one of my raised beds but would it not be happy with sharing with other crops coming and going, and how far away should I plant other plants from it?

Does asparagus spread very far or does it stay put?

Does it need full sun or would it be happy with a bit of shade? If the rasied bed isn't a good idea I could devote an area next to the shed but it is the shadier end of the plot.

As you can see I know nothing about asparagus but don't want these little plants to die in vain cos of my ignorance ???

All advice gratefully received  :)
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
Re: Where to plant Asparagus?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 17:20 »
Asparagus is a perennial vegetable, which makes it good for growing on plots where it will not be disturbed. However, it does take a long time to grow to maturity.

For a decent crop, asparagus needs to be given lots of space and is ideal for a large garden or allotment. It thrives in sun and well-drained soil, but needs some protection from the wind. Alternatively, grow in a raised bed. Asparagus is not suitable for containers, and will sulk if planted in heavy clay soils or in a shady spot.

Not really happy sharing its space with anything else. Needs to be kept weed free and will benefit from mulching with compost / manure and regular watering. Dont pick any of the spears for a couple of years but carrying on the watering and feeding. In the third year you will be blessed with loads of thick spears. Watch out for the asparagus beetle!

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 17:22 »
Asparagus prefers full sun but it will take a bit of shade, but not a great deal like your shed area. Try to locate it, if possible, at the south end of your plot so it gets maximum light and not covered or shaded by any future taller plants. It will also be out of the way for cultivating the soil. The roots don't spread like raspberries but they do need their own spread which is why planting them about 18" apart is good enough. In a pinch, as low as 12" will do but they'd prefer the 18" in all directions.

Prep the soil really well, particularly ridding it of couch roots, add manure, blood fish and bone meal. I always mound a big handful of sand to set the crown head on to keep it dry as they're prone to rot if the area is low or tends to flood. After planting the crown, mark it's head area with a short stick so you know where to look (and not step) in the future. They'll be there at least 40 years to do be sure to prep the soil well and keep it weeded.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 17:41 »
It's a good idea to soak the roots for a couple of hours before planting, especially if they have been in a bag.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 17:51 »
Thanks for the replies... I have clay soil which can retain a lot of water which is why I've built some raised beds.

It sounds like the asparagus might be happier in the beds (and the soil is looser and a better quality) so if the weather is good on Wednesday that's where they go.

One last question... do the roots stay fairly close to the surface or do they travel downwards?

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 17:59 »
They stay quite close to the surface but do like to be kept covered. I read when planting mine to prepare the soil, dig a trench, put a mound in the middle and spread the roots out in a fan and cover over. The trick is lots of fertile soil and lots of feeding, and a good water when getting established ie a half a can of water per plant per week not a passing over of a watering can a couple times when you remember. It does pay off. I was giving away aspapgus last year!

xx
Asparagus how to plant it

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 15:48
by senrab_nhoj
xx
Asparagus........when to plant.. what to buy??

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 20:37
by DeadlyNightshade
xx
Asparagus crowns - When to plant?

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 00:04
by yummy
xx
asparagus - plant now or spring?

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 04:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.545 seconds with 35 queries.