and then there was 1

• 15 Replies

grumpydad

and then there was 1
« on: May 03, 2010, 15:43 »
just one left now from my initial 6 last march.

just lost and buried a lovely buff laced wyandotte bantam.

how long can i keep 1 without company ?

we had planned to get some more next monday, but i really dont know now. are we pronouncing a death sentence on them if we collect them.

to make it worse, big sal has even laid today whilst buffy sat on the perch in the coop watching her

Ribbit

Re: and then there was 1
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 16:51 »
Oh dear :( sorry for your losses. My friends also have one left from the original seven who two days ago had a fox paying a visit  :(
It's like America...But south!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 18:10 »
sorry Martyn but your last remaining one is the carrier and if you wish to keep her whilst she still appears fit and healthy then you cannot introduce anymore. The choice is yours alone to make keep her on her own and spend as much time as possible with her as a substitute chicken or do the deed  :(. It isn't a choice that I would like to make and I really do feel for you. She will get lonely in the coup at night though with no friend to snuggle up to so perhaps could you put a cuddly toy in there with her? Joy xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 19:19 »
Oh GD, I'm so sorry you've had so many troubles with your chooks. You have such a difficult decision to make I don't envy you. In my thoughts tonight x

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 20:11 »
just shut her up in the coop.

for the first time ever, she has gone into a nest box, not on the perch, and i have not had the heart to move her.

if i could have got hold of the breeder who sold me the first chickens then i may have been in trouble, he has caused so much suffering and heartache.

i dont know what to do, but am really very reluctant to cull her, if i did, i really dont think that i would have any more.

will sleep on it

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 21:28 »
Martyn you and Val really are in a no win situation. I understand completely your reason for not wanting to cull a seemingly fit and healthy bird and if you can spend as much time with her as a sort of house pet then do so, unfortunatly she can never have any other chicken friends. I do understand the heartbreak as I also went through losing my 7 last year (to a different illness as yours but with the same outcome) and I tried my hardest to keep the last one alive (little red rooster). Whatever you decide remember we are all here should you wish to chat, cry or just somebody to sound off to.
Should you decide to not keep her give yourself a short break then let me know and I would willingly let you have a few of my araucana chicks that I have hatched to set you up again, please don't give up keeping chickens as you both are such brilliant caring chicken keepers. Joy xxx

grumpydad

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 16:45 »
looks like nature is going to take its course and take big sal as well.
the quietest she has ever been, although she has laid, she has not eaten much, and does not even want live mealworms.
sitting under the coop, hunched up. ill or lonely ?

will give her a day to see

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 16:47 »
Oh dear  :(. For Sal to refuse mealworms I would guess ill. hugs xx

TeaPots

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 17:52 »
Oh how sad for you. But please dont give up...maybe get 3 ex batts, and the fact that you are saving their lives, giving them a year or so of sheer indulgence might help you restore your balance of losing some, to saving some? I dont know honey, but if I can help, please shout.

carolbriar

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 18:39 »
Oh Grumpydad I haven't been on the forum for that long and I have watched your posts with such sad feelings.  You have been incredibly unlucky and I really hope things look up for you.  I know how much worry my hens have caused me over the few months I've had them but nothing anywhere near comparing with what you have had but, it is made up by the amount of pleasure I have also had from ours.  They are just  such a joy to have.  The eggs are a bonus!  Please don't give up.
Carol xx
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 20:06 »
OH, GD.

How awful. You have had such a terrible time of it and I know there is really nothing to say to make it less s**t.
Now is not really the time to be thinking about more I suppose, with the situation so uncertain with Big Sal but I did think the suggestion of ex-batts sounded like a good one. Maybe something to think of in the future.

If there is anything I can do (ducks would be a change ;)) just shout out.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 20:28 »
GD, im so sorry, i dont know what to say so i wont....sending hugs xx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 21:50 »
Oh Martin, hugs from us too.  We know what you've gone through all these months.  It must be so hard to be left with just the one now.

But I agree with the others, don't give up on chickendom, after this.  there are loads of chooks out there waiting for the lovely home you can give them once you are able to.

Poor Sal, she must be so lonely

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 22:28 »
((((((Hugs))))))) from me and Pa GD.
I lost 3 chooks at the begining and for a while it put me off as I thought my other 4 would go the same way. We have been fortunate that my original 4 are still here and in good health and we added 3 more from the same supplier a week ago. Everything is looking good so far.
I understand how your feeling  but give it a bit of time and don't let all your hard work go to waste. as others have said there are other chooks looking for a loving home with you.

Hope Big Sal is ok

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 07:10 »
How is Sal this morning Martyn/Val?
Remember should the worst happen then take time out, move the coup and run, clean (yet again), dust yourselves down and come over. You are both always welcome and if you don't want to take Kate up on the offer of ducks (I know your daughter would love to  :lol:) I have a white, black and lavender trio of girls (hopefully) here with your names on  :)

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 38 queries.