Chicks feet

• 14 Replies

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Chicks feet
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:46 »
I am hatching a batch of chook eggs at the moment, some were taken away from my broody, and popped in inncy as she had forgotton about them, any way one is an araucana, the other that has hatched is a Buff sussex, i have noticed that there feet are still curled up, and they are not standing properly, we have had 12 Arry Cumars (Araucana's) and 1 has had these funny feet OH Has dispatched him already, as there is obviously something wrong with him. I have just noticed out of the 2 Buff Sussex hatched one of them has the same feet! What has happened and can i prevent any more like it???
this is the first time with the Arry's and i have hatched about 20 of these.
Same with the buffs, but so far only got the 2 chicks.
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: Chicks feet
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:23 »
How long were they under the broody.... and how long in bator....

Did they hatch early or on time??

Sounds like the temps were a bit high, but obviously not the case if under the broody for the majority of the incubation :(

cant be genetic as more than one breed... so must be incubator :( :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:38 »
Hi Nails, according to one of my books poultry and waterfowl problems by Michael Roberts it mentions that curled toes in chicks wher one toe or all of them are bent sideways and it could be genetic or due to a viamin deficiency- riboflavin - in their food, both of which could be transmitted through the shell into the embryo. It also states that another factor could be the use of bright infra red bulbs when rearing chicks - dark heat is preferred such as heating elements or gas (so would assume an electric hen would be best). If the parents and their parents don't have this then you may be safe that it isn't hereditory. Make sure your feedstuffs are of good quality and fresh. - check the sell by dates - I found some chick crumb for sale in Melton Mowbray a month ago that was over 6 months out of date. If you are in any doubt as to the vitamin content (particularly riboflavin) then add some yeast powder from your local health food shop. It is possible to cure this by using sticky tape. Take a strip of tape and with the sticky side up turn the ends under so you can stick it to a table. Place the chicks foot on the tape with the toes spread out and the nails sticking out. Take another piece of tape and make a chick toe sandwich, pressing the tape around each toe to hold them in place. Remove the bits of curled under tape, keep this on for a week, then remove and clean up their feet.

Hope this helps you and your chicks  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:54 »
Ah thanks Joyfull, must be happening at egg/hatching stage as the little buff sussex is still in the inncy at the mo, yet the others look fine, i have newspaper and wood chippings in the brooder, although i am just about to change that to rubber matting, so all i can think of it has got to be at hatching stage. All the others have been under the same infa red light. But as i say this is still while they are in the inncy.
Chookiechook, not sure about the Arry's they have been hatching all week, due to being under the broody, i've 4 left to go, but i don't think they are gonna hatch.
as for the others they started to hatch on day 21,22 and today which is day 23!
I may have ago at taping their toes, and i think the rubber matting may help to.
Thanks a lot i will keep you posted

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:58 »
hatching over that time span is pretty normal  :)
good luck with the tape method, it has got to be worth a try  :)

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 14:30 »
Well Joyfull
That was an experience, trying to stick tape to a day old chicks feet, got them as straight as i could. will see in a day or 2 perhaps may be able to get them a bit straighter.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 15:05 »
mmm I cam imagine, think it might be a 4 person job, one to do the tape, one to hold the chick, one to straighten the chicks toes and another to pour the stiff drinks  :lol:
Still it has to be worth a go whilst their bones are still pliable  :)

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 15:27 »
He he i agree i will put more on tomorrow, think the poor little thing had, had enough today.

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 15:53 »
Ive just taped one of my welsummers it definatly wasnt hatched with a curled toe but just noticed it .you may not be able to straighten it completely with tape but it will help .I have seen older hens will what looked like arthritic toes i presume they had curled toes as chicks and nothing was done to straighten them :(we previously taped a cream legbar and her toe almost went back to nomal :) :)

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 16:26 »
it is just so hard to tape them.

lisa80

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 09:42 »
Tell me about it ::)i have tiny hands which helps ,hubby struggles and i always end up with tape every where :)but its worth it in the end if it makes a difference ;)

TeaPots

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 14:15 »
I make a sort of shoe...use the sort of thickness cardboard from a cornflakes box, cut in a square about 2cm ish, then cut one corner off. Stand the chick on the card, with the chopped off corner at the BACK of the foot (thus leaving the "thumb" type toe  out free). when the foot is in place, press it down, so the toes are flat and equally spread/straight. Then press tape over the top, making sure the tape is loose enough to press on the card in between each toe. Once taped, you can trim the card to the shape of the foot. I use Micropore tape, as I have found selotape to be inflexible, and the edge can dig in to their little toes.I have had 100% success with all the feet I have done in the forst 24 hours, but only about a third helpful if left until the 48 hours, and zero success if after 3 days. I have NEVER culled a chick for having bad toes, as they still manage really well.

calamityjane77

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 15:39 »
I'm guessing that this is what happened with my Maisie, her feet practically go backwards on themself, and thats what made me fall in love with her! She is 22 weeks and it seems to cause her no problems and she can run faster than the others when the mixed corn comes out  :lol:

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 21:48 »
Well Joyfull it works!!! Sticky tape boots, really does work, i put it on the chicks rather than culling them, as it was worth a try, took ot off tonight to change it, and all my little chooks have straight toes. i am over the moon, thank you so much for the advice everyone.

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 08:40 »
super so pleased for you and your chicks  :D

xx
Chicks with Dirty Feet

Started by kegs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 11:17
by Sassy
xx
my chicks have furry feet

Started by freda40 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 20:08
by Porffor
xx
Feet!!

Started by Sazzle on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 18:51
by Hawthorne
xx
Feet !

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 08:53
by ehs284

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 29 queries.