perching at night

• 5 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
perching at night
« on: April 29, 2010, 22:30 »
My 3 new ladies are showing no signs at all of wanting to perch on the the roosting bar when they go to bed.    They are older birds and im sure that were they came from they werent provided with roosting bars.   Question,  is it law that chickens have to perch at night, if they choose to sleep on the floor can you just leave them to do that.         Nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: perching at night
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:07 »
Nicky it is best for them to perch but I do have some that absolutely refuse so I now leave them be  ::)  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:21 »
Hi Nicky
None of mine perch.  I put the perch in position the other day and we had added an extra rung for them to climb up and I found it had pulled up so they couldn't perch - mine are very high perches.  One had obviously tried getting up.  I will have to put a piece of wood above the perches so that they slot in and that way it will stay put.  All of mine used to huddle up in one or two nest boxes and now with the warmer weather they sleep in the house and only one sleeps in the nest box. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:58 »
I had a battle of wills with mine for a long time. It became a game to them, I would place them on the perch, they'd wait until I closed the door then go back in the nest boxes. We'd play game this several times each night for weeks until in the end I gave up. Now, a year on and they all perch at night. I think they just wanted to show who was boss, and it certainly wasn't me!

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:51 »
Mine never perch even after weeks of training as soon as i leave them they are back in the nesting box. Idealy they should be on a perch because if they are in the nesting box they get the eggs dirty but i am always up early before any eggs are layed :)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:10 »
mine dont lay till about 10ish anyway, think i will just leave them too it.    nickyx

xx
listless hen no longer perching at night.

Started by yardstick on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 20:38
by yardstick
xx
Not perching?

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 18:49
by Tiggersmate
xx
perching

Started by jackb256 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 15:33
by knittywittywoo
xx
Perching help please?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 18:49
by SMD66

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 29 queries.