Advice Please on Peach Leaf Curl Disease and Treatment

• 6 Replies

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
My neighbour planted a bare root Peach against a South facing wall in November.
It seemed to have taken well to the replanting and has been growing buds and shoots
and gave him a spendid show of blossom.
He knows about  not letting the plant fruit in the first year while making root, but before
he could clip off the fruitlets it developed a very serious case of peach leaf curl.
Ninety percent of leaves affected each being shrivelled with angry red pustules.
The remaining ten percent appeared to develop the disease an hour after removing and
burning the original affected leaves.
My understanding is the the plant will throw up new leaves, but at present it is back to
bare branches.
The tree is a 3-year old plant but no varietal name came with it from the local supplier.
I believe that treatment for PLC follows a preventive rather than curative practise using
Bordeaux Mixture or Dithane.
MY fear is the plant will die unless it can grow leaves and is vulnerable because it has little root growth yet.
Can anybody please how best to treat the plant so as to save it?
I told my neighbourI would ask the forum as somebody out there is bound to know the best course of action.

TIA
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

Loubs

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice Please on Peach Leaf Curl Disease and Treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 23:06 »
Very interested to hear any advice - I knew when I bought it, that I ought to spray my new patio nectarine tree with Bordeaux mixture in Autumn, but enjoyed the first years fruits &  didn't get around to buying what I needed, as thought I might get away with escaping the airbourne fungus as my backyard is very protected - but  all the new leaves coming through this week are looking deformed & affected with peach curl.

From what I understand, I will need to remove any leaves & blossom. But a bit confused as to whether I just need to try to keep the poor thing alive, or whether worth spraying with Bordeaux mixure now & still hope for new blossom & fruits??

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:08 »
Peach leaf curl comes in on wind and rain and once it hits it's really difficult to get rid of. Gather up all the fallen leaves (and there'll be many) and bin or burn them. Give the tree a really good feed right now with a manure slurry or fish emulsion and water this in well. Keep picking up fallen leaves and dispose. There'll soon be a 2nd flush of leaves once the feeding reaches the roots and you'll get your cropping. If the peach fruit looks to be a heavy  crop, thin by half to reduce the stress on the tree.

The fungus doesn't kill the tree, just makes a terrible mess of the leaves. You can spray your bordeaux mix every fall or spring well before budding to try to minimize the damage, or a lime oil and sulphur spray.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:32 »
I had this on my Victoris Plum tree last year, and was a sorry state. I had fruits (lots) on the tree and leaves falling off like there was no tomorrow. Mr neighbouring plot holder gave me some Bordeoux mixture and I sprayed it as advised there and then. New leaves came through and looked healthy as anything after. I cut it all back in autumn then gave it another spray. Looks lovely with loads of flowers this year, but I will be keeping a close eye on it!

dno71

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:38 »
excuse my ignorance but what is bordeaux mix?

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 13:10 »
That's what I said dno71, I wouldn't have had a clue either! It's to treat fungus problems (i think) you can buy it from garden centres. It's in powder form and you mix it to a paste then add the paste to water, then spray on.

I was advised to buy a tree wash to kill infections and bugs over the winter, but with all the rain, snow etc it was a job never done.

noshed

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 15:01 »
Bordeaux mix is an anti-fungal thing made from copper sulphate. Presumably originally developed in vineyards.
You can also use a synthetic fungicide called Dithane which is sometimes easier to get hold of.
I think spraying now would be beneficial - I was eyeing my plum tree on Sunday and thinking that. Trillium's advice about feeding is also very sound.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Peach tree leaf curl! Advice needed.

Started by katlover on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 19:33
by Trillium
xx
Peach Leaf Curl

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2018, 20:54
by Rocinante
xx
Peach leaf curl

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2019, 20:55
by jambop
xx
peach leaf curl

Started by digby on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:46
by digby

Page created in 0.641 seconds with 36 queries.