No feathers!

• 7 Replies

Wash hens!

No feathers!
« on: April 28, 2010, 19:36 »
Hi

New to keeping hens - our three hens have lost their feathers around their bottoms and look very sore - no feathers in their coup or run - any idea as to whats going on!?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: No feathers!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 22:13 »
It sounds like you have a feather pecker and eater. They eat the feathers as a source of protein. You would need to get some spray to put on her to discourage this from continually happening. What are you feeding them on? Do they have lots of treats or mainly just layers pellets/mash?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Wash hens!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:23 »
Our hens get lots of treats and if they are eating each others feathers they are all at it and at night! What spray do you suggest?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:30 »
there is one called anti peck, also another stuff called ukadex which I know grannie annie uses to stop her turkeys and meat chickens from pecking each other.
The reason I asked about treats was to see if they was getting enough protein - they will get this from their layers mash or pellets (whichever you feed them), try cutting out their treats for a week or so - they will hate you for it but just don't look at their sorryfull pleading faces and you will be ok  :lol:

jillyjane

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:14 »
pecking can also occur when hens are bored, so could that apply to your hens do you think?  Keep a close eye because left unchecked this can become a habit with serious consequences.  If the hens manage to peck flesh, and draw blood, you will find it hard to stop them, as like many creatures, they do like the taste of blood.  Can I suggest you keep gentian violet spray in, just in case of skin damage.  It is a good anti-septic, and the blue colour deters the pecking.  Also, address boredom/calcium deficiency if that could be the underlying cause.

Sorry to sound alarmist, but a friend of mine recently had the problem with his hens and it did get to be a real problem.  Like most things, prevention better than cure.

Best wishes
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:24 by jillyjane »

Dove-Cote

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 14:10 »
How big is your run or coop? This habit usuallys starts because there's not enough space. If you're limited on space I would suggest putting in obsticles. Sounds wierd, but if they have places to run, jump & hide, it helps. Also can you free range them for a little bit every day? It helps with the boredom of being cooped.

If the feathers are just missing on their tush & not broken or missing else where on their bodies. I would check for mites as well.

Ribbit

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 18:54 »
If theres any broken skin you could use iodine spray (this is after watching lambing live) I don't know anyone uses it for poultry though.
It's like America...But south!

TeaPots

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 20:11 »
If theres any broken skin you could use iodine spray (this is after watching lambing live) I don't know anyone uses it for poultry though.
I use iodine for all my poultry wounds, be careful of your hands and clothes tho, it stains really thoroughly ::)

xx
feathers

Started by cejx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 12:37
by mr.mellow
xx
Help no feathers!

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 21:06
by GrannieAnnie
xx
feathers

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 15:24
by janeheritage
xx
feathers gone

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2010, 18:32
by CluckyChicken

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 29 queries.