very poorly chickens

• 8 Replies

Flump

• Experienced Member
very poorly chickens
« on: April 27, 2010, 21:24 »
My girls are very bad.I think I may have to have one put to sleep tomorrow.They had two doses each of Tylan injectable and they picked up but this horrible bug came back.The vet thinks it's probably Mycoplasma.He says he can't give Tylan soluble as it only comes in commercial quantities at £300.I have been giving them Baytril but it's not helping.If anyone has some spare Tylan soluble, I would be very grateful,thanks.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 22:17 by Aunt Sally »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: very poorly chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 22:13 »
My vet gives me aureomycin antibiotic which is water soluble and should cost you around £20 ish - ask your vet for this. Also mine also get metacam which is an anti inflamatory and I syringe that into their beaks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 22:15 »
thanks Joyfull,will speak to them tomorrow.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 22:20 »
Perhaps your vet would write you a prescription for Tylan then you could get it on line.

Here's on seller.

http://www.oneclickpharmacy.co.uk/pets-prescription-a-z-tylan-soluble-p-24820.html

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 19:38 »
Hello Flump,
how goes it with your poorly chooks?

My Chooks have been treatesd with Tylan soluble and it does come in 100G pack ( still a large amount as dose is 500mg/litre water but it cost 'only' £34 (as opposed to the £300 quoted by your vet)
Jane

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 22:47 »
my tylan soluble cost me £35 from my vets and there is enough there to treat all my birds for many many years (although it will go out of date in a couple of years  :lol:).

Missie

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 09:25 »
My vet gives me aureomycin antibiotic which is water soluble and should cost you around £20 ish - ask your vet for this. Also mine also get metacam which is an anti inflamatory and I syringe that into their beaks.

Hi Joyfull,

sorry to hijack but is the aureomycin or metacam better than Tylan,I have Tylan soluble and my silkie cockerel still has a puffy,yellow,crusty eye!

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38 »
Aureomycin is an antibiotiuc.  Metacam is a painkiller; different tools for different jobs.

If your cockerel has already been treated for his crusty eye and the treatment hasn't worked, you should take him back to the vet for another evaluation as the initial diagnosis may have been incorrect.

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:47 »
Different antibiotics will work with different birds, so far with my sablepoots I have had aureomycin (worked with other chickens) denegard tiamulin - improved but not 100% and are now on tylan and this is working I am just keeping them on it for a couple of more days on my vets advice just to be sure. Sometimes the birds will need a longer course as well (vet said the denegard would probably have worked if I had kept them on it for two weeks but as the bottle said 3-5 days I stopped at 5 and asked for swabs and a different type).
As Casey said Metacam or loxicom is an anti inflammitry and pain killer - it helps ease their throats and reduce swelling aound their sinuses.

xx
poorly chickens

Started by peggysue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 15:56
by peggysue
xx
poorly chickens

Started by 123pauljon on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 08:43
by Pol
thumbdown
Help please!! We have two poorly chickens

Started by Budworthleyther on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 13:43
by Flowerpower136
xx
poorly chickens

Started by jaq on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 22:29
by henamoured

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 30 queries.