Worried about my spuds...

• 20 Replies

PennyS

• My website
Re: Worried about my spuds...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 21:13 »
I've just been down to the lotty and my first earlies which I put in on 28th March, are coming through. Not all of them, but most of them.

No sign of anything else.  Yet.

But I was bemused to see something that looks remarkably like potato coming through on my bean and pea bed.  I then twigged.  I dug a good bean trench back in March and I must have put in some spud bits which have now thrown up shoots!  Have pulled them out but I thought that was blimmin typical that my refuse is sprouting before my carefully planted second earlies and maincrops   ::) ::) ::)
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 21:22 »
Mine (belle de fonternay) planted on St Patrics day started to come up about 10 days ago, I fleeced them for the last four days but some of them have a bit of blackening on the foliage, I'm sure they'll survive now though.
   The kestral and desire are just poking their heads up being planted a couple of weeks later
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 23:06 »
I put mine in about 2 weeks ago and I put them very deep! I dug a trench about 30cm then used a hand spade to put them another 10cm or so down..

Didnt expect to see them for weeks but noticed 2 plants breaking the soil at the weekend! Very very happy i must say!

Anyway i covered them over and fingers crossed for the other 178 seed potatos in the ground (dont ask!!)   ???

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 23:09 »
 you got a chippy then Dan  ::)
I came I saw I grew my own veg

andy135

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 23:10 »
My first earlies are just showing and are fleeced, "in tubs".
I haven't even planted my maincrops yet. I'm still digging weeds up as I didn't get the plot untill march.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 23:15 »
you got a chippy then Dan  ::)

Ill put it this way.. Its my first year on the allotment (was a patch of grass in December) and I bought the 40 seed potatos i wanted... Then my dad went a little mad and bought another 3 sacks.. They were only 2 pounds per sack (about 40-50 seed potatos) so I couldnt really argue...

he mentioned something about digging them up being good for the soil.. I agree but will be a lot of digging for me  :wub: I didnt want to dissapoint him so half my plot is now potatos for the next few weeks :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 23:18 by Dan78 »

xx
Worried about spuds

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 22:10
by DD.
xx
Newbie here and worried about my spuds

Started by KittyBoo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 16:29
by AnnieB
xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Should I be worried ??

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 23:00
by Trillium

Page created in 0.547 seconds with 36 queries.