Mountfiled M1 Tiller

• 16 Replies

SARKH

Mountfiled M1 Tiller
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:13 »
Hi, I'm new to this forum and seek help/advice. I have just been given an old Mountfiled M1 Tiller on which the engine runs fine, although missing the handle mounted throttle control lever.
Questions, 1. can I obtain the correct or a similar throttle control lever,
2. it has a Kirby Lauson engine VK-30 01369, serial 649780, of which I have never heard. Any info please.
Thanks in anticipation.

chick-a-loo

Re: Mountfiled M1 Tiller
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:47 »
hi, sorry  not able to help with your questions, but welcome anyway. im sure someone out there can

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:46 »
I'll move this to the equipment shed, you'll get a better chance of a reply from our resident petrol heads.
Cheese makes everything better.

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:42 »
Hi, you should be able to get a cable that will fit, however, I've never actually seen a Kirby engine, so if it's anything like another Australian engine Victa, then you might have a few difficulties.
There is a manual for the M1 on this website.
Good luck. :)

SARKH

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:09 »
Hi Graham.
THanks for comments re cable. Yes, I have found the manual for the M1. Just need some info on the engine now.

smud6ie

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:44 »
This was one of the first cultivators that I ever used and worked on back in the  late 1950's early 1960's, and were sold in catalogues like Kays and Mashal wards.
The KL engine  slides to tighten tihe belt to engage the drive.?
If my memory serves me right,it had a sliding throttle button .not a lever that you pushed with your thumb which with use or lack of it and age became difficult to use and could be replaced with a lever type one with the same free length of inner wire but depending on how handy you are, most  can be altered to fit.
KL are virtually ,if not the same as  Aspera engines which were fitted to Qualcast push mowers as well as many other cheap machines .

SARKH

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:25 »
Hi Smud6ie.

Thanks for comments. Yes, the drive is taken up by moving a handle which moves the whole engine. If this is virtually the same as an Aspera engine, is there a link to find a manual or parts list? Thanks.

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 18:22 »
I've never quite got my head around Kirby Lawson but just about remember them vaguely on a Flymo contractor.?.

Could it then be that they were another licence build of USA Tecumseh...in the same way that Aspera/Tecnamotor were in Italy..??

It may well be that a generic throttle cable or one with suitable length/travel from another more recent machine could perhaps be sourced from most local machinery agents.?

"Dori"

smud6ie

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 22:33 »
I've never quite got my head around Kirby Lawson but just about remember them vaguely on a Flymo contractor.?.

Could it then be that they were another licence build of USA Tecumseh...in the same way that Aspera/Tecnamotor were in Italy..??

It may well be that a generic throttle cable or one with suitable length/travel from another more recent machine could perhaps be sourced from most local machinery agents.?

"Dori"

They  used the same flywheel ingition system and carb .I  found an engine in the dead until needed pile  that looks the same and snapped the id plate:

As I mentioned in an earlier post ,most cables with a piano wire centre and the right free length could be made to fit
smud6ie

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00 »
Hello Smud6ie,

At my first employment, 1981-ish, we used to have a big box  dead until needed pile Aspera engines. ;)
 Kirby Lawson seemed rarer....hence I never got the measure of their history and origin.

"Dori"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:02 by dorimower »

SARKH

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 07:32 »
Hi all,
Thanks to you all, I am starting to learn a bit about all these different machines. Is there a significance in the different spelleing of laUson/laWson? I have just photographed the ID plate and it says" Kirby Lauson, Manufactured in Australia under licence". Would upload pics if I knew how to? Can anyone tell me how to on this site?

smud6ie

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 08:36 »
We always refered to them as "Kirby"engines, its a long time since I took notice of the rest of the name plate so it could be spelled "Fred" if relying on my failing memory :)
The only wat I know how to post pics is to use a hosting site called Photobucket.
smud6ie

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 20:41 »
Oops sorry,...seems my spelling was a bit out.... ;)

It explains why I couldn't find any ref' under Lawson...cos it is really Lauson. :blush: ;)..

A quick search under Kirby Lauson finds ref to JAMES N. KIRBY AUTOMOTIVE PTY. LTD. :)

"Dori"

SARKH

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 16:24 »
Thanks Dori. Had a search but still can't find any direct ref to my Kirby Lauson engine. Any other suggestions out there? Thanks.

smud6ie

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 17:27 »
Thanks Dori. Had a search but still can't find any direct ref to my Kirby Lauson engine. Any other suggestions out there? Thanks.
Is the absence of the manual turning up,is there anything specific that you need to know,
smud6ie

xx
Mantis tiller / Stihl multi-tool tiller/cultivator

Started by Turkey Jane on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 12:10
by Percy
xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Which tiller to buy?

Started by andimac on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2016, 10:53
by andimac
xx
tiller

Started by m1ckz on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 12:50
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 36 queries.