truth or not? potato question

• 23 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: truth or not? potato question
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 02:05 »
when should I start earthing up, the tips of my first earlies are just showing above ground level. Should I cover them straight away, or do the tips need to be exposed, as I guess these first three or four leaves are generating much needed food for the plant.

I'm note sure about the party-line answer to this one but if it were me I'd "earth-up" about as soon as I see anything green poking through. That way you will not risk frost damage and you'll be giving the spuds more soil to develop tubers in. They will keep growing up and out in search of sunlight.... By the time you have run out of a) soil to earth-up with and b) energy to keep up with the job the risk of frost will be over and you will most probably have achieved a good height and width of mound for the tubers to grow in.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 06:33 »
I earth up my first-earlies little-by-little when frost is forecast. My reckoning is that its the devils own job to keep the frost off them until, potentially, the end of May, so when they can see daylight they grow less strongly [upwards] than when they are in the dark, and with their leaves in the light they can generate energy for the plant.

Of course this is no good if you are away from the plot! although in my case if I go away for a couple of days I earth up a bit and am confident that the spuds won't make that much new growth, and poke through, in that time.

Others earth up when they plant and leave the spuds to it.

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 08:51 »
I'm just covering mine with soil as soon as I see any green! Protects them against frost and it's what I would do with my tubs of potatoes.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 09:05 »
Interesting. I earth up my tubs so as not to cover the leading growth - so that there is always some green converting sunlight to food :)

But I do wonder if it makes any difference? I suppose next year I could just fill one tub to the brim, and the other bit-by-bit to keep its "head above water", and see how they compare.  My tub-spud plants are humongous already ...
IMG_6245_PotatoesInTubs.jpg

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39 »
off to the plot this evening for me then, and earthing up begins.
I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

harry

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 13:01 »
All mine are showing leaves now so i'd better earth them up. :nowink: :closedeyes:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

treacleminer

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 14:05 »
Bit of a shaggy dog tale this, but I was told by one of the local farmers that when he was a boy they had a German POW working on the land - the farmer (or his Dad) was shocked to find the POW chain harrowing over the potato crop to take off the frosted tops, and was told that that was how they always dealt with the problem - the potatoes then happily regrew new tops and cropped ok.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 02:10 »
Bit of a shaggy dog tale this, but I was told by one of the local farmers that when he was a boy they had a German POW working on the land - the farmer (or his Dad) was shocked to find the POW chain harrowing over the potato crop to take off the frosted tops, and was told that that was how they always dealt with the problem - the potatoes then happily regrew new tops and cropped ok.

That sounds quite believable  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 02:16 »
I'm just covering mine with soil as soon as I see any green! Protects them against frost and it's what I would do with my tubs of potatoes.

Sounds a good idea to me!!  ;)

As my plot neighbour decided to soak his spuds I gave my first earlies a drizzle (and a little bit more) as it has been dry since I put them in. Normally I'd let them get on with it but they were late going in... to keep the moisture in and protect from frost I covered the lot with grass mowings.
April 28th (8).jpg

xx
truth or fiction

Started by sootyfaestoney on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 08:16
by DD.
xx
potato question

Started by babycakes on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 13:49
by babycakes
xx
Potato question.

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 22:59
by peapod
xx
Potato bed question

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 12:09
by julietmaria

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 35 queries.