anyone growing habernero chillies?

• 6 Replies

Deano27

• Experienced Member
« on: June 08, 2007, 12:46 »
this is the first year i've grown chillies and most varieties i've got are all doing fine in the greenhouse.  however the two habernero's that have grown are starting to look a little forlorn.  they've about 6-8 leaves each but have not got much bigger since getting to that size, now they look like they're wilting a bit.  a friend of mine who i gave some seeds to is having a similar problem.  they get water most days so they're never dry.  any ideas?

WG.

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 13:19 »
Too much water is more likely.

Quote from: "google"
habaneros are cared for the same as the bell pepper. The key is planting them in good soil. I amend my soil every fall and spring with organic matter, including compost, aged manure, peat moss, and shredded leaves. I then work these materials into the soil.

Peppers do not like excessive watering. Too much water saturates the roots which makes it difficult for the plants to draw in oxygen and nutrients. It also depletes the soil of nitrogen and phosphorus. Peppers generally need 1" of water per week.

Once the plants have reached one foot tall, you can start supplementing their feeding with a water-soluable fertilizer high in phosphorus. If you are not familiar with the nutrient ratio, these are the three numbers listed on the front of fertilizer packages. The first number represents nitrogen, which is required for green foliage; the second number is the percentage of phosphorus, needed for blossoming and fruit production; the third number is the ratio of potassium, the nutrient required for strong root growth. The ideal ratio for peppers is 10-20-20. Avoid fertilizers with high ratios of nitrogen or else you will have beautiful foliage at the expense of a good harvest. Fertilize once every 14 days through early fall.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 14:00 »
I'm growing habeneros, jalapenos and cayenne peppers and they all seem to be doing fine.  I have one habanero which I bought from the garden centre and it is growing quite quickly now.  There are the beginnings of flowers starting to show.  The other chillies were grown from seed and still have quite a bit to go but they too are speeding up.  I haven't really done very much to them and I've only been watering when the compost looks very dry.  I grow mine in the conservatory but I was hoping to plant some outside this summer since I've got quite a lot to experiment with.  Has anyone else tried this?

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 14:11 »
Quote from: "gregmcalister"
I'm growing habeneros, jalapenos and cayenne peppers and they all seem to be doing fine.  I have one habanero which I bought from the garden centre and it is growing quite quickly now.  There are the beginnings of flowers starting to show.  The other chillies were grown from seed and still have quite a bit to go but they too are speeding up.  I haven't really done very much to them and I've only been watering when the compost looks very dry.  I grow mine in the conservatory but I was hoping to plant some outside this summer since I've got quite a lot to experiment with.  Has anyone else tried this?

O seem to get a better harvest with outdoor grown chillies and peppers :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 14:19 »
Habs are slow growing, I normally start mine off in a heated greenhouse very early in the year, for some reason they can be eratic, I have plants that produce loads and others do nothing, where did the original seed come from, was it a chilli or was it from a seed supplier? So long as you are not completly drowning them they should be ok, try watering every other day for a while and see if they pick up, what are they growing in?? Grow bags or pots?? It may also be worth giving them a quick feed, normally again I would only feed once the fruit appears but they might be looking for something thats lacking.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Deano27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 14:51 »
they're growing in pots at the moment.  they only get watered when the soil starts to look dry so i don't really think i've been overdoing it.  

the seeds are orange haberneros bought from south devon chilli farm.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 23:10 »
Deano, how big are the pots? if the plants are starting to get root bound that could slow the whole growing bit. I always use big pots with the bottom cut out and then planted in growbags, I know shaun had a picture on one of his threads but I cant find, perhaps if he reads this he can post it on this one so you can see.

xx
Help on growing chillies

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 23:00
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Chillies growing well!!But?

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 11:30
by NigelB
xx
Growing chillies

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2023, 20:38
by Snow
question
Newbie on growing chillies!!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 14:28
by stentman

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 36 queries.