cats!

• 17 Replies

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
cats!
« on: April 24, 2010, 22:02 »
whats the best thing for keeping cats of your soil? apart from a rotweiler  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: cats!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 22:04 »
netting...it's about the only thing that works  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 22:05 »
You beat me to it mum. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 22:07 »
splendid idea if only till the veg gets going!  :D as weeding is a bit of a pain when you have to keep lifting nets up and down!!!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 22:19 »
Better the nets than the alternative and no edible veg  ;)

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 22:44 »
We have some bushes at the allotment (dog rose? not sure sorry) which have very prickly stalks.  I cut some of these and lay them over my beds until the seeds have grown big enough to stop the cats bothering.  Mind you, I do this on my front garden raised bed which is smaller than the ones at the plot.  There I just grin and bear it.  Well, I don't always grin!

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 17:48 »
Oh don't get me going about cats and the little messages they leave.   :ohmy:You will have a riot on here :mad: :mad: :mad:

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 18:36 »
Oh don't get me going about cats and the little messages they leave.   :ohmy:You will have a riot on here :mad: :mad: :mad:

snap  :mad: :mad: :mad:
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 20:03 »

Very true and there are lots if cat lovers on here so play nicely or the topic will get locked.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

DavidT

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 20:05 »
Grow Coleus canina amongst your veg. :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 20:09 »
I cant go to our plot without our cat. should I go and hide in the corner now. She walks at heel all the way and goes made if we try and leave her behind, she secretly things she is a dog.  :wacko:

Most plot holders just laugh or joke about me not needing a lead, but one old boy throws stones at the cat or tries to smack her with a bamboo cane, regardless of where she is on the site.  I am sure there is a nicer way  :mad:

Just think whatever you do, that pussy cat belongs to someone, and they have to GO somewhere  ;)

DavidT

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 20:12 »
The next time that guy throws a stone at the cat, throw it back twice as hard and aim to hurt. >:(

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 20:21 »
i work in pest control,and many a job involves clearing farm steadings of feral cats.we do trap a lot but at the end of the day most need to be shot.these arn't your domestic cats they are self inbred killers.
in my vegtable garden the most lethal weapon i use is the bairns pump action water gun.they are creatures of habit and normally lay up in the same place at the same time of day.
so study their movements and be ready,they hate a jet of water when they are lounging in the sun lol.
always need to remember this animal is someone else's pet.

forgot to add you can add a bottle of food colouring to the water.so when they head home coloured pink,the owner freaks and takes it to the vets thinking it's covered in some sort of toxic chemical.
sit back and smile knowing that their disregard of the cats whereabouts has just cost them 40 quid :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 20:27 by blackbob »

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 20:23 »
Ouch, I hope he has very bad aim.  Throwing stones at animals is a horrible thing.

I know this is probably not much use in an allotment, but years ago I got fed up with all the neighbouring cats using my veg patch as a public loo.  I ended up getting two cats of my own and hey presto problem solved.  Mine used a litter tray and the neighbouring cats stopped visiting our garden.

I have been thinking about taking my cat to the lotty as she caught a mole in the garden yesterday and I'm getting a mole problem on the lotty. What do you reckon?   :)
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

andy135

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 20:31 »
Blackbob has it right. I have two cats but they are not allowed outside. They have a playpen in the back garden which they can reach through the catflap. They get fresh air, sunshine and can rip and tear at the wooden frame tosharpen their claws and I collect grass flowers and herbs from around the garden for them. At least they aren't killing wildlife.
Neighbours cats used to be a problem but I just keep the hosepipe handy. They don't hang around.  :)

xx
CATS

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 18:17
by Yorkie
xx
Getting rid of cats!

Started by Ka_ka on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 21:31
by Caretaker
xx
cats

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 18:15
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
help to get rid of cats!!!

Started by salmonking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 17:30
by JayG

Page created in 1.097 seconds with 38 queries.