Still pondering slugs - and panicking

• 6 Replies

Cheryl B

Still pondering slugs - and panicking
« on: April 24, 2010, 14:06 »
Thanks to all you stars out there who have given me advice on slug attack. But as much as I am trying to be eco on my plot, having just slogged my heart out down there all morning I cannot bear the thought of handing over my hard-earned crops to a slimy monster., so I am thinking pellets. Birds and hedgehogs are a concern, so I like the idea of putting the pellets in a buried jar. Still pondering.
Does anyone else have a constant feeling of underlying panic that you haven't done everything/planted things in time? I feel like sending the kids off to my mum for a week and camping out down the allotment  - but even then i bet I wouldn't get everything done!! must chill....(but not too much...)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Still pondering slugs - and panicking
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 14:18 »
I know how you feel, but when it's slug pellets or ruined crops....then it's no contest.

As for time.............I'm retired and still don't have enough at this time of year. Everything seems to want doing NOW :lol:

But realistically, nothing minds being done a few weeks later, but you must keep on top of the weeding, or you will reget it later :ohmy:

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 15:33 »
Coffee grounds as a barrier works well for me, no panic here. Down side you need a supply of coffee grounds.. I get mine from a local coffee shop. I also have some planks of old wood around the plot which is perfect for them to hide but makes it easy to find them and remove!

Personally I feel there is no need for pellets.

http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 16:04 »
Early in the year I am desperate to plant something, and have to wait, but suddenly it is the right time for everything and I have the panicky feeling that I am going to be too late, and there is no room in the greenhouse anyway.
You are not alone, Cheryl.

Later on I start wanting to tidy up all the things that are in the wrong place and start again...I wonder if you can get tablets for it?? :wacko:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 16:15 »
For the second time today I find myself agreeing with "Mum"  :wub:

My garden is surrounded by hedges (aka slug/snail factories!) and it's just not practical to protect everying at risk without using slug pellets.

The "Growing Success" version use ferrous phosphate as the active ingredient and I am personally persuaded that they do not harm wildlife other than slugs (they are certified for use in organic environments by the EEC, although not every organic gardener would be happy with that because the pellets are not made from organic materials!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 17:04 »

Careful JayG people will start talking  :lol:

Cheryl B

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 17:16 »

My garden is surrounded by hedges (aka slug/snail factories!) and it's just not practical to protect everying at risk without using slug pellets.

The "Growing Success" version use ferrous phosphate as the active ingredient and I am personally persuaded that they do not harm wildlife other than slugs (they are certified for use in organic environments by the EEC, although not every organic gardener would be happy with that because the pellets are not made from organic materials!)

I think I might be quite easily personally persuaded too - too much hard work, too precious

xx
A pea pondering

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 22:55
by Rich72
xx
pondering over peppers

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 17:48
by Sally A
xx
panicking about my tomatoes

Started by jingerpot on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 27, 2006, 15:47
by jingerpot
clip
Tomato problem - panicking!

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 23:13
by DD.

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 38 queries.