Seedlings

• 19 Replies

zazen999

Re: Seedlings
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 18:10 »

I have planted the tomatoes in newspaper pots so it is fairly easy to tell if they are too wet or not - think they needed a bit of sunshine! (Don't we all?!!)

Aah, personally - I'd get them out of the paper pots and into small plastic ones.

Paper pots are great - but for seedlings that won't be in there long and with roots that are feisty enough to push through the paper. Toms can be checked if the roots are restricted and [in this weather] they need a good soaking every day to give them enough water to grow. Pour water into the tray and what's left after 30 mins, tip away. If any is left over of course.

I find things just don't grow as fast in paper pots as plastic ones; much as I love the idea it doesn't follow through.

I'm sure many will disagree; but I only use paper pots and loo roll tubes for beans and peas these days.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 18:12 »
My Inca's are also very slow to produce 2nd leaves. My Marmande and Zucchero plants look as though they are a few weeks older, although they were all sown at the same time. The better weather over the next week should make a good bit of difference to growth rate.
I've just potted all my toms up into 3" pots with potting compost. That should give them a boost also.

You can't rush nature.  :)

Are you potting them up even if they only have their two seed leaves? I thought I might have to wait until the new leaves have materialised.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 18:14 »

I have planted the tomatoes in newspaper pots so it is fairly easy to tell if they are too wet or not - think they needed a bit of sunshine! (Don't we all?!!)

Aah, personally - I'd get them out of the paper pots and into small plastic ones.

Paper pots are great - but for seedlings that won't be in there long and with roots that are feisty enough to push through the paper. Toms can be checked if the roots are restricted and [in this weather] they need a good soaking every day to give them enough water to grow. Pour water into the tray and what's left after 30 mins, tip away. If any is left over of course.

I find things just don't grow as fast in paper pots as plastic ones; much as I love the idea it doesn't follow through.

I'm sure many will disagree; but I only use paper pots and loo roll tubes for beans and peas these days.

Got my knickers in a knot here!  :wacko: My beans and sweet peas are in newspaper pots. The toms are in plastic pots, but there are several seedlings in one plastic pot at present. Wasn't sure when I could start potting up individually.

zazen999

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 20:58 »
I'd pot into small pots as soon as the seed leaves are able to be grabbed...you threw me there with your tales of tomatoes in paper pots.  ???

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 22:23 »
I'd pot into small pots as soon as the seed leaves are able to be grabbed...you threw me there with your tales of tomatoes in paper pots.  ???

It's been a long week!  :wub:

xx
seedlings

Started by saggy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 10:01
by saggy
clip
Seedlings

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2020, 18:52
by andyww2013
xx
seedlings

Started by HevO22 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 16:49
by HevO22
clip
Seedlings

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 23, 2014, 07:19
by blackberryjam

Page created in 1.688 seconds with 36 queries.