egg questions.????

• 3 Replies

calamityjane77

egg questions.????
« on: April 23, 2010, 19:40 »
I know I've only been on here a couple fo days and already asking so many questions. But this time these are egg based  :)

Just found our first egg  :) it feels really heavy. We got the hens from a place where there were lots of hens and cockerels roaming free range, this well may be the silliest question ever but is it likely to have a chick in it?

Second silly question once the egg is laid how long before they become unedible? Is there a recommended time that you can keep them.

So sorry to keep annoying all you lovely chicken experts but need all the help I can get!  ::)

Kate and her Ducks

Re: egg questions.????
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 19:50 »
If there were cockerels where you got your hens from then the egg is likely to be fertile. That means that if you incubated it it has the potential to develop into a chick but it definately does not have a chick in it now. Actually the weight of an egg goes down as the chick develops as water evaporates through the shell.

Eggs keep for an amazingly long time, 4 weeks about. The quality does however deteriorate so eat them fresh for the best tasting eggs you will ever have. If you want to hard boil them though leave them a few days or you won't be able to peel the shell off easily.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

calamityjane77

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 20:00 »
Thank you so much. I never realised just how much there is to learn!!

Thanks
CJ

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 21:28 »
Amazing how much there is to know about eggs! I still can't believe that in less than a month you can go from scrambled egg to this.

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
A few more questions

Started by seanandde on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 15:41
by Casey76
xx
Sad Day Questions

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 18:56
by Silkysmooth
xx
more questions

Started by walker on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 20:16
by walker

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 35 queries.