What do I do with this hen?

• 1 Replies

pandora

What do I do with this hen?
« on: April 23, 2010, 19:12 »
I have a Silkie, bought as a replacement for my lovely old Wyandotte who used to sit on any number of eggs but is sadly no longer with us. She has steadfastly refused to be broody for 2 years. Finally, about a month ago she went what I thought was broody - sitting in a nest box like a pancake, with a glazed expression on her face. Whatever I do, she returns to her nest box and refuses to leave it.

Excellent, I thought - chicks!

The only problem is she won't actually sit on eggs. I have tried her on a variety of eggs (from duck eggs through to her own eggs. I actually paid money for the duck eggs!) Whatever I put underneath her she flicks out of the nest and goes back to sitting on nothing. I have tried for a month to break her broodiness but shutting her out of the nest box, but she then goes and makes a little nest under the hen house and sits there all day. I would rather she sat on some eggs but failing that I would rather she was behaving like a normal hen.

How on earth do I stop her just sitting there, or how to persuade her to accept some eggs?

ehs284

Re: What do I do with this hen?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 19:47 »
Looks like the cold water treatment for her. See posts via search; lots of comments. HTH

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 28 queries.